Explorer 172

TMFIP

Recruit
After many years of good service I am retiring my '97 Northwood/Smoker Craft and have bought a new Explorer 172. It has the integrated gunnel track system and plan to buy a basic Bert's rod holder kit from the dealer but does anyone know a source for individual bases so I can mount rod holders that I want? Bert's will only sell packages through dealers.

boatsandcohos

Recruit
A little late to the party here, but I saw your post. I have a 2020 Explorer 172. IGTS parts certainly are tough to find, but here's a few tips based on my journey the past year:

• The IGTS and Polarkraft track system are the same 58 degree angle. Bert's doesn't advertise "Smokercraft", but does Polarkraft. Traxstech also sells 58 deg parts, although I can't say I have tried these for myself.
  • Buy the Polarkraft brackets - they will come with a bar instead of a flange nut needed to use with Smoker. Simply get 1/4" x 20 flange nuts (extremely cheap) from your local hardware store, and you're good to go - this applies to the brackets and/or individual rod holders as well.
  • Also - check Frank's Great Outdoors or Tackle Haven, both in Michigan - they have by far the cheapest price of any online retailer I've found. Half the price of Bert's direct.

TMFIP

Recruit
Thanks for the great info. The Polarcraft connection is really helpful as are the tips on lower priced sources.
Explorers seem to be rare birds. Not even shown on the general website, have to search specifically for it to turn up. Wanted a new boat this year and it was about all I could find in stock. Now I'm waiting on backordered sonar and trolling motor.