Exotic clunkers also got the crunch under program

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Saw this article today talking about some rather pricey and obscure/worthy automobiles in the list. I do not know if its all true but nothing surpises me anymore so I'll believe the article with amusement. (as a car person)

The other thing that surprised me in the article, it says the gubmint clunked out 69 thousand Ford Explorers and that the Exploders accounted for only 10% of the clunked automobile. That is alot of automobiles I guess I did not realize that great scope of the program.
Being that so many cars were sold during that program I can only see new car sales falling off dramatically in the next year. I think the program was wasteful and ill conceived.

http://forums.iboats.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=32
At its creation, a 1997 Bentley Continental R was one of the most powerful and exclusive cars in the world, with every hand-built copy from the English countryside valued at $300,000 and beyond.

A few weeks back, the owner of one such Continental R decided it wasn?t worth more than $4,500, had its engine destroyed and shipped it to a junkyard with the rest of America?s clunkers.

It?s one of several rare or surprisingly new vehicles destroyed under the Obama administration?s cash for clunkers program designed to sweep old gas guzzlers off U.S. roads. According to new government data, the rebates of $3,500 or $4,500 were enough to doom the Continental and a ?97 Aston Martin DB7 Volante that once had a sticker price of $135,000 to the crusher.

And 37 people decided to clunk models that were less than a year old.
Beyond car lovers? grief over why anyone would destroy sweet rides like a 1999 Mercedes C43 AMG

Some enthusiasts would have paid many thousands of dollars for the rare 1987 Buick GNX destroyed under the program; only 547 were built. The nation?s supply of used Chevrolet Corvettes was thinned by 131, including 34 convertibles, and the program also liberated 22 Americans from the burden of owning a Peugeot.

The 2008 model year vehicles deemed clunkers ranged from a Scion xD to 10 Mercury Grand Marquis sedans to two copies of special edition F-150 pickups, sporting 450-hp V8s and Chip Foose-designed paint jobs.

The most popular clunker was the Ford Explorer, with 69,887 copies turned in, accounting for roughly 10% of the trade-ins under the program. Under federal law, only vehicles built after 1984 were eligible for the program, and the trade-in rules favored trucks over cars to spur the removal of less efficient models.

Probably somebody in Dubai enjoying their new GNX........:rolleyes:

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Exotic clunkers also got the crunch under program

Not sure why a link to create a new thread is embedded in this one, but I don't think I can reply to this thread and it not be political in nature. I don't think this thread will have a long life.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry that was suppose to be a link to the Detroit Free Press article, that link is here. http://www.freep.com/article/200909...22/Exotic-clunkers-also-fueled-recent-program

Oh possible thread backfire ? I dunno, hope not.
Also I believe I posted this in the wrong section I think it belongs in dockside chat. Perhaps my post was ill conceived.......:redface:

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think if someone can fford a car like the Bentley,, Aston Martin or watever. They can do what they want with them. Not my preference but thier car-------

Even selling on Barrett-Jackson would have been better than crushing those in my opinion. Most certainly they could have afforded a new Impala.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

It's a shame. Once again, I'm stuck working in Lima, Ohio, and this past weekend there was a classic car show with some real beauties. My favorite had to be the 58 Caddy, but the point is, many of these gems are being destroyed, or it is next to impossible to find replacement parts for them. What a bummer . .:(

dolluper

Captain

It's just going to make finding parts harder making them cost more watch the prices go up on eboy

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

There is a new Toyota dealership that I pass everyday on my way home that had lined the front of the lot with vehicles that had been flattened. Probably about a dozen or so. What really got my goat was that one of them was an early '70s Ford F100 (I could just make out the grille) which was not even eligible for the program. It was sacrificed for advertising fodder.:mad:

Huron Angler

Admiral

It's just going to make finding parts harder making them cost more watch the prices go up on eboy

I agree 100%:eek:...they destroyed 69,000 ford explorers that could've been stored and parted out for folks like me('99 explorer). But I guess it's more environmentally friendly to destroy cars and force new ones to be built which is the biggest detrimental impact a car has on the environment.:mad:

"We're here from the gov't and we're here to help":confused::mad:

Thanks but no thanks. Hopefully the absolute failure of this program will serve as an example to avoid in the future.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The cars were sent to junkyards where they will be parted out, its not like they were crushed.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Seems like a political thread to me!

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not until you came into it! Dude, lay off already.

Huron Angler

Admiral

The cars were sent to junkyards where they will be parted out, its not like they were crushed.

I'd like to think that you are correct:)...however...the gov't requires that within 6 months ALL cars turned in will be shredded. So my concern is that there is not enough manpower/time to accomplish this within that time frame.

I hope I'm wrong but if you ask me in some cases they are just shredding the vehicles and moving on with their lives.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to think that you are correct:)...however...the gov't requires that within 6 months ALL cars turned in will be shredded. So my concern is that there is not enough manpower/time to accomplish this within that time frame.

I hope I'm wrong but if you ask me in some cases they are just shredding the vehicles and moving on with their lives.

From the CARS website:

Q: What will happen to the car I trade in?

A: The car will be sent to the salvage yard. Some parts may be kept but the engine and drive-train must be destroyed. Specifically the engine will be injected with a liquid glass solution to permanently disable the engine and it will be the responsibility of the dealer to make sure this is done to the engine.

This mimics everything I have read about the program. I have yet to see anything that states the residual chassis, frame or other components must be destroyed. Can you cite a qualified reference?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

ridiculous, we're in a credit induced crisis so what do we all need?....new cars, new appliances....what's next? cash for your old couch? new cash for your old worthless cash?

Guess what?! Rooms To Go is offering cash for your old furniture! It's either Rooms To Go or Kanes, but one of the two had a commercial on tv for it.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some parts may be kept but the engine and drive-train must be destroyed.

Why not "ALL parts may be kept"??? Why destroy anything that works?

Why encourage folks to take on more debt to buy cars they don't need at a time when too much debt is the culprit for our current economic problems?

At this point we could use good resources like V-8 engines and trucks. At least sell them to China or require gov't employees to drive the clunkers.

All programs like this have serious unintended consequences as seen by the pain dealers are currently feeling due to sales falling off a cliff as this program ended. People are going to wait until the next round of "free" money from Uncle Sam before buying a new car.

I'm not going to do any more research on this failed program. Your post says it all for me:) We can disagree that's fine with me.

64osby

Admiral

Mr Bigstuff
This mimics everything I have read about the program. I have yet to see anything that states the residual chassis, frame or other components must be destroyed. Can you cite a qualified reference?

I can't give you written law, but I was at one of the local junk yards Tuesday and written on every clunker vehicle was the date when it must be crushed. Engines and drive trains were already trash.

The yard was busy as rats in the Chicago sewers. People were all over the cars looking for parts.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why not "ALL parts may be kept"??? Why destroy anything that works?

At this point we could use good resources like V-8 engines and trucks. At least sell them to China or require gov't employees to drive the clunkers.

The main point of the program is get older non fuel efficient cars off the road. If you allow the engines to be reused, you did not get a gas gussler off the road.

dolluper

Captain

Hey I need a new couch who's offering a trade in value bucks

salty87

Commander

The main point of the program is get older non fuel efficient cars off the road. If you allow the engines to be reused, you did not get a gas gussler off the road.

and this is the funniest part of the whole program. it is impossible for the fuel savings to be greater than the costs to the environment of building an entirely new car, especially with the first car being thrown away.