Exhaust Shutter

carolynrose

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know this subject has already been hashed over, but I had some thoughts I thought I'd throw out there. My boat is a 1988 Bayliner Ciera Convertible with a 260hp OMC sterndrive.
This past summer I had a hydrolock while docking into a hard current and wind.
I hope to avoid this again. Here is my idea.
I'm going to purchase a Mercury shutter valve and ring type retainer and try to retrofit it to my Y-pipe. I understand that OMC shutter valves are at the very bottom of the Y-pipe. I'll discover this for sure when I pull my outdrive for the winter. Either way they are not serviceable without pulling the Y-pipe which means pulling the engine. I fully expect to find these gone do to the age of the boat.

Mercury now installs these at the top of the Y-pipe and are accessible by pulling the lower bellows. They are available in several sizes.

Does anybody have knowledge of a better option or some kind of retro-fit kit. I know Volvo has discontinued the shutter valves, but I don't know that they haven't set the exhaust better than OMC so to avoid hydrolock.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Exhaust Shutter

Ayuh,... In my experince, OMC exhaust parts are either 1/2" smaller, or 1/2" larger than Mercruisers....
Never the Same...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Being an 88, you should have a Cobra outdrive, the shutters are available both OEM and aftermarket, the are also in the top of the Y pipe, not in the bottom.
No way in 'ell are you going to make Merc shutters fit.

carolynrose

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don, that's good news. I guess I just haven't looked in the right place for replacements. Not being a boat mechanic, i guess I was looking at a part with them in the lower area from the wrong year. Any place in particular I could find a listing for these parts. Is the replacement procedure the same as the merc, remove the lower bellows? Thanks, Dave

carolynrose

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Don, I think the reason it was so difficult to find, other than being and OMC, is that they refer to it as an "exhaust seal" instead of an exhaust shutter as Merc and Volvo do. Anyway I found them in the catalog and ordered them.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry Don. I can't (or my computer) can't get the site to come up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I may have had the wrong link, I just put in a new one. Give it a try.