Evinrude year

sinkhole

Seaman
Hi all, Have acquired a 20 Hp Evinrude outboard partly dismantled that I'm trying to put back together and am having trouble finding any information on net. I know production on 20 hp motors ceased in the early 70's, The only id. I can find on motor is the # 00077482 on a rather new looking welch plug (first 0 could be a 'C') and tag with the # 205B63BC 77482 Peterborough,. Canada. Also does magneto plate have one or two coils under flywheel?

Thanks in advance for any help

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All OMC single or twin outboards with breaker points have the same number of points, condensers, coils, and plug wires as they do cylinders. If the coils have not been replaced, AKA if they are OEM they need to be. the epoxy deteriorates and cracks open.

I've had pretty good luck plugging numbers into Google so I'd say you read something wrong.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 22 cubic inch motors were made to 1976 all basically the same save for the later ignitions.

sinkhole

Seaman
Found it after much looking. It is a 1975.
Thanks for reply . I would appreciate if you could let me know how I could get this info. I have looked everywhere I know of to no avail. all the dealers and parts list do not show any info for 20 HP motors. The other replies suggest that all motors have two coils under magneto plate , but I have a Johnson 25e74M with one coil. called a capital coil I believe. Am a little confused.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well-----The 20 HP was marketed in Canada.-----Your local dealer would have the parts listing.----Or use the 25 HP listing for most parts.

sinkhole

Seaman
Well-----The 20 HP was marketed in Canada.-----Your local dealer would have the parts listing.----Or use the 25 HP listing for most parts.
My local dealer has no knowledge or parts list for this motor. I have cross referenced with my 25 HP Johnson, magneto plate looks the same, both have indentation for two coils. the question is does the 20HP have two coils on the magneto plate or one like the 25HP. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but over the years when I had a problem I read the I boats forum and invariably found the answer forwarded by one of the knowledgeable contributors. But this time I'm stumped. Thanks for your time and patience.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
well----if in Canada use---------evinrudeparts.ca-----I believe you will need to believe that the 20 HP is essentially the same as the 25 HP !!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for reply . I would appreciate if you could let me know how I could get this info. I have looked everywhere I know of to no avail. all the dealers and parts list do not show any info for 20 HP motors. The other replies suggest that all motors have two coils under magneto plate , but I have a Johnson 25e74M with one coil. called a capital coil I believe. Am a little confused.
Sorry, I have no information other than the model/year list

img070.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 20 HP was still marketed in CANADA up to 76 I believe..----It is as simple as that !!-----Not sure why that is an issue for you.-----Same ignition as the 25 HP models !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 1977 models use the same 30 cubic inch block as the 35 HP.-----Have a 79 model 20 HP myself !!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That is not what the 77 brochure said. The 25 was the 31.8 cu. in. but the 20 was still a 22 inch block. Probably using up old Inventory. In 78 or 79 they likely went with the bigger block

Reactions: 909

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Missed that part in the brochure.------I should dig through my parts books as the 20 HP models were listed in them.

Chief Petty Officer
That is not what the 77 brochure said. The 25 was the 31.8 cu. in. but the 20 was still a 22 inch block. Probably using up old Inventory. In 78 or 79 they likely went with the bigger block

Interesting.

sinkhole

Seaman
I believe your wrong. If it so simple perhaps you could share your knowledge and answer the question.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Hi all, Have acquired a 20 Hp Evinrude outboard partly dismantled that I'm trying to put back together and am having trouble finding any information on net. I know production on 20 hp motors ceased in the early 70's, The only id. I can find on motor is the # 00077482 on a rather new looking welch plug (first 0 could be a 'C') and tag with the # 205B63BC 77482 Peterborough,. Canada. Also does magneto plate have one or two coils under flywheel?

Thanks in advance for any help
Did you look under the flywheel or are they all missing?