FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
buddy of mine is having problems with this motor.cleaned carbs new fuel tried 2 different tanks took coils off running motor no different compression 98 96 92 new plugs could this need a head gasket this compression seems low with my guage
I would usually agree with boobie but not this time. Your compression is bad enough to look at that first. Yes a head gasket can fail.but usually not on all 3. Time to pull the head.
Do.you have all the plugs out when you are doing a compression test. could be anything a bad gauge, bad head gasket or motor not turning fast enough. Or the motor is worn out I am not there. A head gasket costs around $20 cheap enough for a look see.
No you pull all the plugs out for a compression test. You need it to spin as fast as possible. Pull the safety lanyard off to kill spark and run another test with all the plugs out.
my buddy took the head off today.He said cylinders looked good,no scoring.He said head gasket did not look blower around the cylinders.There were some disruptions around the water jackets but I don't see where this would effect anything.I am not sure he or I know what to look for.The only scored cylinders I have seen were on a chainsaw and it was obvious.