Evinrude Sportwin 10 pull cord winding procedure

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
128
can someone point me to the proper pull cord replacement procedure please?

I wound the "flywheel" a bit to provide some extra tension, and wound the cord around but after a couple of pulls, the cord flopped at the last foot or so.

View attachment IMG_0687.jpeg
 

Crosbyman

Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
6,257
the rewind spring end may have disengaged or broken due to using to short a cord lenght

visit pages 288 and up in the johnson red book "bible" on starter cord installation
 

Attachments

  • starter cord.pdf
    700.7 KB · Views: 2
  • RED book.JPG
    RED book.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
128
The spring wasn't broken but DANG it's hard to get back in.

I found this video that describes the problem I was having and how to fix it. I hope it helps someone in the future.

 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,953
The recoil pulley must be " timed " to provide a mechanical advantage.----Makes for easier pulling.----Find the arrows on housing and pulley.----Did not see him check that after his assembly work.-----He did not grease the spring.----Put too much grease on the pulley.
 
Top