evinrude spark issue

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Should have full continuity on each plug wire, spring clip to spring clip. If not, rebuild the wires (replace the wire and the spring clip, and check again for continuity.)

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
must use an open air adjustable spark tester, not the inline type. The engine has to turn over at 250+ rpm to fire up the engine. You may have a weak battery or a starter that needs to be cleaned/rebuilt.
the starter is fine as the battery. i can take it to the lake tomorrow and run all day on 2 cylinders. it starts and cranks fine./ its no longer a spark issue. its cylinders 2 and 4 not detonating. ignition system its all new.

catfishcarl99

as in post #2 swap 1&3 spark plugs plug wires power packs coils and wires may help good luck with the 2&4 that are not running
the coils and pack in 2 and 4 is new sparking fine. i swapped 2 and 4 just to check but was a no go. they are not reversed. i was very careful not to swap when i replaced coils. i tried it to rule it out. backfired and wouldnt start when i pulled 1 and 3 wires and isolated 2 and 4.

catfishcarl99

well think its good to go. this explains whats been going on. uploaded wrong vid deleted link. new one coming.

Last edited:

catfishcarl99

Might try swapping plug and wire from one that is firing ever coil and power pack also it is easy to get the orange coil wires reversed check compression
ya if you get a min to watch the vid i posted a link to think this was the issue and why i didnt think it was. thanks. uploaded wrong vid its coming.

Last edited: