Evinrude / OMC 777189 GALLON Engine Tuner

ChadHubbard

Cadet
I purchased a gallon of Evinrude Engine Tuner, part number 777189. It is a honey colored liquid. I intended to add it to my fuel / oil premix. The label on the back of the gallon container says not to leave it in the engine. I can not add this to my built in 50 gal fuel tank if the mix can not stay in the engine. The engine is a 1997 Evinrude 115 Ocean Pro. It has been converted from VRO to pre-mix. The engine is on an 18' center console (Ranger) boat. I have read every topic I can google, but nothing found on how to use this liquid tuner. If it needs to be sprayed into the carbs, what sort of sprayer would I need?

Has anyone used the liquid/gallon Engine Tuner, if so, how? Again, this is not the aersol cans, but a gallon of liquid.

thanks for any input.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe you add that to the fuel.-----See your local friendly dealer for good advice.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Haven't used that stuff in years. Gumout works just as well and is much cheaper.

It comes in a spray can and is to be injected into the carb while at fast idle. If you have the bulk gallon (which was sold to dealers and mechanics), you can still use it but you need to buy a spray bottle.

Looks like you got as lifetime supply. Supposed to ad it at a tune-up, or every 50 hours.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I usually add 1 can (pint) of Seafoam to 1 gal of fuel (in a Jerry can) and run that thru the motor, letting it sit overnight. The next day I run the motor at high speed on pure fuel to clear the gunk and cleaner out of the fuel system.

You might see if your engine tuner can be used the same way.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I purchased a gallon of Evinrude Engine Tuner, part number 777189. It is a honey colored liquid. I intended to add it to my fuel / oil premix. The label on the back of the gallon container says not to leave it in the engine. I can not add this to my built in 50 gal fuel tank if the mix can not stay in the engine. The engine is a 1997 Evinrude 115 Ocean Pro. It has been converted from VRO to pre-mix. The engine is on an 18' center console (Ranger) boat. I have read every topic I can google, but nothing found on how to use this liquid tuner. If it needs to be sprayed into the carbs, what sort of sprayer would I need?

Has anyone used the liquid/gallon Engine Tuner, if so, how? Again, this is not the aersol cans, but a gallon of liquid.

thanks for any input.

That stuff, if it NOS, is Gold. The old(1970s) Engine Tuner was very good at removing Carbon, unlike the garbage sold today. Stank to high heaven and burned the nostrils too.
It was not intended to be added to the fuel mix.
A sprayer used for spraying non-aerosol Brake Cleaner should work

I think OMC discontinued the Product for Environmental reasons, so tell ya what, Ship it to me, prepaid, and I will make good use, ummm, I mean I will dispose of it, No Charge...

ChadHubbard

Cadet
This 777189 Tuner is still available from Evinrude. I don't know if the formulation is the same as in the 1970's.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
This 777189 Tuner is still available from Evinrude. I don't know if the formulation is the same as in the 1970's.

I haven't see it in a Gallon since the Early 80s, so I assumed, maybe in Error, it was from back then. However you can still send it to me, prepaid:D

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Much better is to take the combo out , put it on a trailer, remove the carb's air silencer, put the formula on a spray bottle the ones you can pump air into, warm motor fully, throttle to 2.0-2.5 K rpm while geared forward. Spray short burst of product on first carb throat till motor unbalances, let motor recuperate its previous rpm. Perform same procedure on each carb in a row, repeat the whole procedure at least 2 or 3 times for better internal cleaning results. Go for a wot spin as if stealing the combo for some minutes for product to be totally burned out, report if there was a overall motor improvement after application.

Decarboning.JPG

This type of product does wonders on engines that don't use periodically Sea Foam type products, should be applied frequently for motor to work as a Swiss clock. My favorite Engine Tune-up low cost decarbonizer is made by the CRC Company.

Saint CRC.JPG

If using self contained decarbonizer as mentioned above, drill small holes on air silencer to insert the red cannula that comes along with it right in middle of each carb's throat, that way won't need to remove the entire carb's air silencer for next application.that will surely love doing again....LOL!!

CRC Decarbon.JPG

I usually do the decarbon procedure at each 100 metered run hours, after returning to terra firme, install a new set of spark plugs. Report if there was an overall motor improvement after product application...

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Much better is to take the combo out , put it on a trailer, remove the carb's air silencer, put the formula on a spray bottle the ones you can pump air into, warm motor fully, throttle to 2.0-2.5 K rpm while geared forward. Spray short burst of product on first carb throat till motor unbalances, let motor recuperate its previous rpm. Perform same procedure on each carb in a row, repeat the whole procedure at least 2 or 3 times for better internal cleaning results. Go for a wot spin as if stealing the combo for some minutes for product to be totally burned out, report if there was a overall motor improvement after application.

This type of product does wonders on engines that don't use periodically Sea Foam type products, should be applied frequently for motor to work as a Swiss clock. My favorite Engine Tune-up low cost decarbonizer is made by the CRC Company.

If using self contained decarbonizer as mentioned above, drill small holes on air silencer to insert the red cannula that comes along with it right in middle of each carb's throat, that way won't need to remove the entire carb's air silencer for next application.that will surely love doing again....LOL!!

I usually do the decarbon procedure at each 100 metered run hours, after returning to terra firme, install a new set of spark plugs. Report if there was an overall motor improvement after product application...

Happy Boating

You just itemized the "Procedure" printed on the back of the OMC Engine Tuner Bottle.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Really ? Very few boaters knows about or uses decarbonizer products such as OMC, CRC, etc. most prefer and swears for Sea Foam. The OMC only states a very poorly general application. Have deepen the overall decarbonizing procedure as the can does not indicate running the motor on muffs while geared nor to remove the carb's air silencer for a deeper carb application.

The post was intended as a reference for newbies that doesn't know these type of product well and would like to use it specially if having motors with high hour use. Wasn't this forum intended for other less experienced or newbies to learn. as the Big Shots already knows it all.....

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Really ? Very few boaters knows about or uses decarbonizer products such as OMC, CRC, etc. most prefer and swears for Sea Foam. The OMC only states a very poorly general application. Have deepen the overall decarbonizing procedure as the can does not indicate running the motor on muffs while geared nor to remove the carb's air silencer for a deeper carb application.

The post was intended as a reference for newbies that doesn't know these type of product well and would like to use it specially if having motors with high hour use. Wasn't this forum intended for other less experienced or newbies to learn. as the Big Shots already knows it all.....

Happy Boating

Yes, really.

I know nothing about CRC or what their can says. . But back in the day OMC recommended its use in their owner's manuals. They clearly spelled out how to use it. I used to use it all the time. Since switching to 4-strokes I don't have any left since i don't need it any more.

BTW, I was agreeing with you. Merely pointing out that what you said was right.

ChadHubbard

Cadet
No Quid Pro Quo! :D:D

I will decarbon the engine this spring or summer and report my results. I did run some Sea Foam through the fuel tank before leaving Florida in March. May / may not see much change.

Thanks for all the responses / input.

ChadHubbard

Cadet
Here is my decarbon update. Did it today. Titled the engine to full up/out of water position. Poured 3-4 oz of the fluid into each cylinder. Let it set for 15 minutes, cranked the engine over. Repeated 2 more time. Ran the trim down and cranked the engine for a few seconds. Reinstalled the plugs. Quite a bit of 'nasty stuff' ran out of the prop. Started the engine, big smoke. Let it run at 1,500 rpm for a couple of minutes, sprayed a total of about 12 oz into the carbs with the engine running. Shut it off and let is set for 15 minutes. Started the engine and let it run until smoke mostly subsided. Took the boat to the lake to run it. Engine run better than it has for a long time. Don't really remember how it ran new, that was 20 years ago. Smoked less than usual, idled good. I am happy with the results.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Here is my decarbon update. Did it today. Titled the engine to full up/out of water position. Poured 3-4 oz of the fluid into each cylinder. Let it set for 15 minutes, cranked the engine over. Repeated 2 more time. Ran the trim down and cranked the engine for a few seconds. Reinstalled the plugs. Quite a bit of 'nasty stuff' ran out of the prop. Started the engine, big smoke. Let it run at 1,500 rpm for a couple of minutes, sprayed a total of about 12 oz into the carbs with the engine running. Shut it off and let is set for 15 minutes. Started the engine and let it run until smoke mostly subsided. Took the boat to the lake to run it. Engine run better than it has for a long time. Don't really remember how it ran new, that was 20 years ago. Smoked less than usual, idled good. I am happy with the results.
Last time I did a motor was in 2011 just before I bought my etec 60hp.It was a 82 90 Evinrude and with the exception of the product and I let sit for an hour I used seafoam deepcreep.Killed every flying insect for a 5 block radius!Motor ran fantastic after.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Glad to read that the product made the engine to run much better than before. No need to remove the spark plugs, can perform an excellent carbon removal by squirting product liberally through the carbs as long as you want while the motor is ON and geared forward so to rev bit higher than just at 1.5 K rpm.

Happy Boating