evinrude e-tech

Re: evinrude e-tech

100:1 is half the amount, not double you are right but that is far from meeting the target set by Evinrude in their marketing data and owners manual.<br /><br />Normal mix ratio for any two stroke carburated engine is 50:1. The marketing data produced for this engine by Evinrude states that the E Tec uses 75% less oil. That would equate to the following. A typical carburated 2 stroke engine rated at 50:1 (50 liters Gas to one liter of oil) The E Tec should with 50 liters of gas use only 250ml of oil (XD100) Using XD50 for the same amount of gas, 500ml of oil would be used if the info provided in the manual is correct.<br /><br />100:1 may not be bad for the XD50 and XD30 oil but it is most certainly way of the mark for the XD100. Even these figures are way of the mark established by Evinrude for all grades of oil.<br /><br />As noted by Fleet Admiral there is no fuel economy or efficiency associated with the oil consumption.<br /><br />Add the cost of oil (at $15.00 per liter) and fuel together and the cost to operate this E Tec exceeds the cost of operating a typical 2 Stroke. <br /><br />If a comparsion was to be made with the fourstroke I believe that this E Tec is substantially higher yet the market data suggest otherwise.

D

DJ

I find it hard to believe that the e-tec is MORE expensive to operate than a "typical" 2-stroke.<br /><br />Fuel and oil consumption estimates are just that, estimates.<br /><br />There is hardly a vehicle out there that can match the EPA rated fuel economy. Why? The EPA tests for fuel economy by never exceeding 45 mph in a controlled lab. Not real world.

walleyehed

Admiral

Triplek, DO NOT go to XD-50, or XD-30 with your EMM set for XD-100. We already know this will lock it up.

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by Triple K:<br /> So much for the "75% more efficient than typical two stroke carbureted engines, 50% less than competitive direct injection engines and 30% more efficient than four strokes."<br />
I didn't look at the advertising but I'm not sure "75% more efficient" means only oil usage. My gut feeling is it's an average of gas, oil, EPA emissions, etc...just like their 300 hr avg per boat owner for maintenance. I sure hope etech lives up to the advertising.<br /><br />Also, check other ob mfgs to see how they rate specs for their engines. Idle speed for best fuel burn etc is the norm. They all advertise specs that way.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Guys,<br /><br />I've said this before and I know I'll say it again...<br /><br />You have to take the marketing-sales pitch stuff with a grain (or two) of salt. Read the fine print in the ad, it says "based on ICOMIA standards, the average recreational boater...". I can tell you they're heavily weighted to lower rpms. For example, on an engine that has a 6000 rpm top operating range, it goes like this: 6% @ WOT, 14% @ 4500, 15% @ 3000, 25% @ 2400, and 40% @ idle. Thats the "standard" they're comparing the consumption figures to.<br /><br />Now, applying some common sense here, if all one does is troll around under 1000 rpm's 75% of the time, It will take a darn long time to go thru a tank of oil whether its TCW-3 or E-TEC oil. On the other hand, if one is a speed demon and runs like a bat out of hell all the time, with 75% of run time at or close to WOT, they will go thru oil much quicker.<br /><br />What I've seen so far with the Evinrude E-TEC, is that if the engine runs great it's most likely not using too much oil. I had a customer with the same complaint and like I suggested earlier, if your dealer downloads an engine report from the EMM and sends it into the factory tech department, they should be able to tell very closely, how much oil the engine should be using. <br /><br />Additonally, you really cannot attempt to apply an exact oil ratio to a direct injection engine, whether its Ficht, OptiMax, HPDI, or E-TEC. The ratio is extremely variable and highly dependant on engine rpm. <br /><br />-John

I am not sure what Evinrude meant but the dealer certainly promoted the efficiency when selling the engine.<br /><br />I can accept that the advertisment is only an average. Statements such as " the E Tec uses "75% less oil than typical two stroke carbureted engines, 50% less than competitive direct injection engines and compared with a 4 stroke, you'll use 30% less oil" has nothing to do with averages.<br /><br />We all know that the typical two stroke engine is 50:1.<br /><br />The manual states : "For added protection and cost reduction an authorized dealer can program your evinrudeE-Tec outboard EMM to cut normal oil consumption in half using Evinrude / Johnson XD100 as compared to conventional oil".I suspect that testing with these oils were under the same conditions as the test with XD 100.<br /><br />Any intent to go to the lower grade oil would be with the EMM reprogrammed.<br /><br />The 75% as written specifies oil only not a combination of oil, gas and emmissions. The wording in the forth paragraph back is an exact quote from Evinrude.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Triple K:<br /><br /><br />I can accept that the advertisment is only an average. Statements such as " the E Tec uses "75% less oil than typical two stroke carbureted engines, 50% less than competitive direct injection engines and compared with a 4 stroke, you'll use 30% less oil" has nothing to do with averages.<br /><br /><br />The 75% as written specifies oil only not a combination of oil, gas and emmissions. The wording in the forth paragraph back is an exact quote from Evinrude. [/QB]
The statement about using less oil and being more efficient is when the E-TEC is compared to other engines using the marine industry standard I.C.O.M.I.A. testing procedure, called a "duty cycle". The procedure specifies that the motor be operated for specific amount of time at certain power settings chosen to closely match average running conditions of a recreational boater. That way every engine tested is run the exact same way so you have a true apples to apples comparison. The EPA emission ratings are done the same way so each motor is run exactly the same. That way other companies doing the tests in different labs can come up with the same results.

Posted earlier by John from Illinois:<br /><br />You have to take the marketing-sales pitch stuff with a grain (or two) of salt. Read the fine print in the ad, it says "based on ICOMIA standards, the average recreational boater...".<br /><br />While I understand that marketing data is just that the fact remains there was no fine print included in the brochure provided. It does make reference to normal recreational use in other parts of the brochure in reference to warranties.<br /><br />Lets forget the marketing data and accept the fact that apples have been compared with apples and go directly to the owners manual. Should we not assume that the info in this manual is accurate.<br /><br />Excerpt from Manual:<br /><br />"If the "LOW OIL" warning light illuminates, you have approximately five hours of normal operation before running out of oil when using TC-W3RL oil. If using Johnson / Evinrude XD100 oil, you have approximately ten hours of normal operation use."<br /><br />The tank size is 3 Quarts (2.8 liters).<br /><br />EMM will activate the Low oil light when the tank is 1/4 full. <br /><br />That would equate to approximately 700ml remaining.<br /><br />My useage is 1000mls (one liter) per two hours use.<br /><br />Something just not right with this.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

clanton <br />Member # 2789 posted July 11, 2004 09:38 PM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> I finally got a look at these engines, and even got a boat ride, 2, 3, 6 cylinders. <br /> <br />Hooty <br />Member # 4723 posted July 11, 2004 11:35 PM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> So, what did ya think? Are they gonna be world beaters? Tell us what your impression was.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty <br /> <br />moderator1 <br />Member # 17886 posted July 11, 2004 11:42 PM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> A spirited discusion has already been started in General Ouboard.<br /><br />See link. Moving there.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=036283 <br /> <br />moderator1 <br />Member # 17886 posted July 11, 2004 11:44 PM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> clanton <br />Member # 2789 posted July 11, 2004 09:38 PM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I finally got a look at these engines, and even got a boat ride, 2, 3, 6 cylinders. <br /><br />Hooty <br />Member # 4723 posted July 11, 2004 11:35 PM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />So, what did ya think? Are they gonna be world beaters? Tell us what your impression was.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

clanton

Rear Admiral

I think they run great, but most of the major brands run good. My interest was the electric system and injection system. It seem to only have half as many parts for these 2 systems as the Fitch. I would think if half of the marketing pitch is true and Bomb has a handle on the quality control they will have a winner. They make the horsepower, run smooth, quite, and the EPA likes them. I think the Evinrude fans will love them, I do.

Forktail

Ensign

Interesting info Triple K. I think you have some legitimate concerns with the oil. <br /><br />I was ready to order two twin sets (4) of E-TEC's for my charter operation, but lost interest when I found some of their performance reports to be physically impossible. Bombardier never really did address why. Plus I found out that the "local" who tested the E-TEC 50 on the Yukon was sponsored by Bombardier in snowmobile racing. Little conflict of interest if you ask me. I knew there had to be a catch when he claimed the 50 performed better than a 75.<br /><br />I feel an outboard should perform as advertised, and I've learned that there is usually a reason for all the hype. Your best bet is always with a tried and true outboard, with a reputation of solid performance, not hype and advertising.<br /><br />Hope it works out.

I am not impressed. I am not sure if the info presented by Evinrude was a diliberate attempt to mislead but it certainly lead me down the garden path. <br /><br />This engine has not lived up to the the claims made in either the marketing data or the owners manual. <br /><br />I would like for evinrude to come clean and explain to their customers / potential customers what they mean when that say; <br /><br />" the E Tec uses "75% less oil than typical two stroke carbureted engines, 50% less than competitive direct injection engines and compared with a 4 stroke, you'll use 30% less oil", <br /><br />"If the "LOW OIL" warning light illuminates, you have approximately five hours of normal operation before running out of oil when using TC-W3RL oil. If using Johnson / Evinrude XD100 oil, you have approximately ten hours of normal operation use."<br /><br />"The only thing that moves slow is the fuel guage" Tommy Skarlis

NOSLEEP

Commander

Triple k you must have something wrong with your<br />oiling system ,or you dont have enough hours on<br />you engine and it is still in break in mode and <br />over oiling. My motor has roughly 20 hrs plus on<br />it and I am using only a reasonable amount of oil<br />in the tc-w3 mode. 95% of the run time is @ more<br />than 4200 RPM.

I have no idea if there is a problem with the oiling system.But id I do it is consistent with that of a friend that has the same engine on the same style boat with the same results.<br /><br />I am advised by Evinrude that I cannot expect better oil consumption if using over 3500 RPMs. <br /><br />I am unsure right not as to what I should expect. I will be reverting back to TC-W3 mode once the reservior is empty. If there is no gain in using XD100 I have no intention of paying $15.00 per liter for it to be used at a ratio of 50:1<br /><br />What do you consider reasonable a amount of oil ?

NOSLEEP

Commander

2.8 liters is not much of a reservoir, in my opinion.<br />But since my break in period ended about 15 hrs<br />ago of high rpm use. I would say the reservoir is <br />about half full or better.

That is a lot more encouraging than what I have. With tc-w3 that is great. Not far of the data provided by Evinrude.<br /><br />At least it is something to look forward to. I would be quite happy with such results.<br /><br />Maybe there is hope for better results.

Tracy Coleman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Triple K What part of the world do you live in that charges $60.00 a gallon/4-liters for XD-100 oil? U.S. list $34.95 a gallon. Just a comment, If that were my engine it would turn up to at least 5,500 RPM if it had to have a 14X13<br />prop. I can't understand a dealer not making sure<br />it was proped right before you got it. I'm sure you have seen these tests. On three of these tests, top rpm was 5400, 5625, 5220. It is preferred to be in the upper rpm range with a light load. There is no governor on the engine.<br />Get more hours on the engine, run the hell out of it, get it out of break-in oiling mode. Did your dealer need to or did install the software update for your engine? I would sure run XD-100 oil if I had it.<br /> http://www.evinrude.com/e-tec/pdf/PE280.pdf What is your serial number of the engine?<br />Backfire ;)

NOSLEEP

Commander

Personally I wouldn't run any synthetic oil in a <br />new engine 2 stroke or 4 stroke until it was <br />thoroughly broken in and the rings had seated.<br />Just MHO.