evinrude e-tech

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: evinrude e-tech

Gil, <br /><br />I think you're misreading that chart info...<br /><br />The chart says:<br /><br />RPM...MPH...GPH...MPG...RANGE<br />700....2.8....0.21...13.4..350<br />3500..27.4..4.18...6.5....171**<br />5625..44.7..8.20...5.4....142<br /><br />Thats 6.5 miles per gal (MPG) and 4.18 gallons per hour (GPH) for the 3-cylinder, 90 horse E-TEC.

walleyehed

Admiral

TripleK, your numbers punch in as 5-1/2% slip-that is a very efficient figure, higher (efficiency) than most applications.<br />I'm picking straws here, but I think your 20ft'r weighs 1300 before the engine, controls and fuel/oil.<br />I'd say you're pushing 2k with that 90HP, and from the numbers given, it looks good to me for that size of boat.

I do not understand the 5-1/2% slip. <br /><br />You are right about the weight. 1300 pound without the motor, fuel and controls. Two Thousand pounds including person is probably close.<br /><br />My comparsion as noted was with same boat with different engines (Yamaha and Mariner) 90hp and better results.<br /><br />Based upon info received I may be expecting two much.<br /><br />I have not confirmed fuel effeciency as of yet but once I do I will advise of results.<br /><br />I have made one last ditch effort with props to see if results will change. I just ordered a new prop. Gone down to a size 13 and increased the pitch by two to 19.<br /><br />I suspect that this will give me a little better top end but cause some issue otherwise. Again I will post results.<br /><br />Appreciate all comments received thus far.

walleyehed

Admiral

Results will tell but I think what you will see is about 4700-4750 RPM, and a little less than 38MPH. I hope it proves me wrong, but I believe hole-shot will suffer as well.<br />Good Luck!

New Prop 13 X 19<br /><br />39 to 40 MPH with 4800RPM.<br /><br />Very Little difference if any on the Hole shot.<br /><br />Reduce throttle to 4400RPMs and maintains 37MPH.<br /><br />I am happy with these results.

Another issue that I am experiencing and would like feedback<br /><br />I checked my oil consumption and discovered that with two hours use, ten gallons of gas (45 Liters) that I used one liter of XD-100 oil. This equates to less than 50:1 ratio. According to my manual I should be getting over five times this amount.<br /><br />Dealer is checking on this but have not yet responded.

NOSLEEP

Commander

I experienced the same thing. Your e-tec is over<br />oiling for a predetermined break in period<br />controlled by the EMM.

How long did this last for ?<br /><br />Did it rectify itself after the predetermined breakin period ?<br /><br />I have 5 hours use on my motor.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

The program specifies double oil for the first 3 hours of run time over 2000 rpm's. The higher the rpm, the more oil you'll use, especially during break-in.<br /><br />Oil consumption is definately better when you use the E-TEC oil and have the EMM reprogrammed for it.<br /><br />-John

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

You know Triple K, after re-reading this whole thread, I'm beginning to wonder if the tachometer in your boat isn't reading wrong...<br /><br />-John

I suspected the same thing so I had the dealer connect the computer directly to the motor for an in use test.<br /><br />The computer verified that the tach was reading correctly.<br /><br />The EMM was programmed for XD 100 E-Tec oil. If programmed for XD 50 or XD 30 it would be down to a 25:1 ratio.<br /><br />I am definitely confused on this one. The actual use is way out of whack with the spec. The emmissions must be way off. I suspect that the performance may also be out of whack. <br /><br />Maybe if this problem was resolved the RPM issue would also be resolved.<br /><br />I have attempted to find a contact for Bombardier but without success. Dealer not prepared to share this info.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Can't argue with the diagnostic program, I've always found them to be quite accurate.<br /><br />Do you know if your engine is out of break-in mode? I know if your dealer can/will supply an engine report to the Evinrude factory techs, they can plug in the rpm profile and determine if your engine is using th correct amount of oil.<br /><br />You can contact the Evinrude customer service department by calling 847-689-7090. Be sure you have your engine serial number available when you call.<br /><br />-John

NOSLEEP

Commander

It might be that your engine's EMM is set up for<br />tc-w3, and you are using a synthetic oil and it<br />is using twice as much oil as you think it should<br />be using. Not to mention its still breaking in<br />and double oiling.

Interesting comments.<br /><br />The intent was to program for XD 100. Whether this was actually done I do not know. I can only assume that it was.<br /><br />Is there some way other than having a report submitted to Evinrude to determine if the engine is out of breakin mode ? Should it not come out of breakin automatically ?<br /><br />Your comments are very helpful and appreciated.<br /><br />I beleive that I have a good engine but there are some bugs that need to be addressed. As the engine is new to this area I am not completely sure that the dealer has a clear understanding of the issues at hand. I have one of just three that was sold here.

NOSLEEP

Commander

My e-tec 90 appeared to come out of break in mode<br />after 5 to 8 hrs operation at high rpm. It no longer uses<br />oil at the rate it did. I left mine at the factory<br />setting wich is for tc-w3.

I spoke with the customer service department of Evinrude today.<br /><br />I was not impressed with his comments with reference to oil consumption.<br /><br />He stated that if using the engine over 3500 RPMs that the best that I could expect was 100;1 oil consumption but even that was optimistic.<br /><br />He said that the ratings listed in the manual and in the brochures is based solely on idle or trolling speeds.<br /><br />So much for the "75% more efficient than typical two stroke carbureted engines, 50% less than competitive direct injection engines and 30% more efficient than four strokes."<br /><br />I am unaware of any two stroke that operates on a ratio exceeding 50:1.<br /><br />I asked him if I could expect to have the ratio changed to 25:1 if using XD-30 or XD-50. He stated that there would be very little change.<br /><br />The manual states : "For added protection and cost reduction an authorized dealer can program your evinrudeE-Tec outboard EMM to cut normal oil consumption in half using Evinrude / Johnson XD100as compared to conventional oil". <br /><br />I am starting to feel as if I have been taken.<br /><br />I will be reverting to the lessor grade. <br /><br />I am not happy right now.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

i might be reading this wrong but 100:1 is half as much oil not 2 times more then 50:1 but i might be understanding you wrong

NOSLEEP

Commander

Triple K you must be misunderstanding what he is<br />telling you 100:1 ratio is half the oil consumption<br />of 50:1 like muskyone is saying, thats a great very<br />low oil to gas ratio.<br />Its 50:1 with regular tc-w3 and even that ain't<br />so bad!