evinrude e-tech

fastfishn

Cadet
Any opinions on this new engine would be appreciated. I am an old evinrude fan and I am<br />considering purchasing a 2004 90 e-tech evinrude <br />for a new boat purchase in the next few days.<br />I prefer the 2 stroke for the hole shot power and<br />general performance. Good or bad idea :confused:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude e-tech

Not too many of these on the water yet, only a handful of members have had any experience with them. Their comments were positive. I would seriously consider one if I were in the market.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

fastfishn....Welcome to the site. Do a search on this site about E-TEC'a and you will find alot of good info. Also check out the post on this board by fordmechanic and there will be some good links to look at. Enjoy.

fastfishn

Cadet

Thanx for the welcome mmcpeck. :) <br />I have done some searching on the forum for this<br />info, I suppose because this engine is so new,<br />there is little performance and reliability material documented. I did see fordmechanic's<br />post and related links after I had posted mine.<br />Didn't mean to take up space with a redundant question. Thanx for responding Roscoe.

Hello there. Im glad to see there are some people out there that still like the good ol 2 stroke. Yeah i really like the e tec engine. I have only got the run the 90 hp verson and i love it. They are extremely quiet and powerful. I had a few inquires when i had the boat on the water. At idle a guy 10 feet couldnt tell me it was running. It is a great motor and if you get one you will love it and never look back at all.

fastfishn

Cadet

Just wanted to let you fine folk know , I purchased<br />a Evinrude E-Tech 90 to hang on the back of<br />a 2004 Crestliner 1650 Sport Angler. It will take<br />about 4 weeks before I get a chance to play with<br />it, as I had to order the package to get what I <br />wanted for options. I will post later on about the<br />performance and give my humble opinion on this<br />new motor. Thanx for the info gentleman.<br /><br />regards Steve.

D

DJ

Very much looking forward to your report.<br /><br />There's one in my future too.

I recently purchased a 90 hp Evinrude E Tech.<br /><br />Too early to really make a judgement.<br /><br />I am having difficulty getting the RPMs to go up. I have tried a selection of props with very little change in any direction.<br /><br />Anybody with any info that can help would be appreciated.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Hello Triple K ,this fastfishn guy is really NOSLEEP<br />in disguise.I was looking for some opinions on this<br />New motor and just wanted some honest opinions from<br />the regulars that may get to play with this new gem.<br />What is your set up. boat model length, weight<br />and such. The guys here will be better able to <br />help you with more info.<br />Most of the performance adjustments are made by the<br />EMM control module. Idle speed and possibly the <br />WOT setting, I would not doubt this motor has a<br />governor as well controlled by the EMM.

Hello Nosleep<br /><br />This motor is sitting on a 20ft waverider fiberglass, fishing style, V Bottom boat with a cuddy cabin. Approximate weight is 1300 pounds. <br /><br />The RPMs is running between 4900 to 5000 depending on the trim level. Inital prop was a 14 X 17 which produced a speed of 36 to 38 miles per hour. Changed to a 13-3/4 X 15 and RPM went up by 50 but the speed dropped by 5 miles per hour. Changed to 17 X 19 and RPM dropped by 500 and speed remained at 36 - 38 miles per hour. I am now using it with a 13-1/4 X 17 with and RPM of 5000 and a speed of 36 -38 miles per hour.<br /><br />I am advised by By the Dealer that the Governor is set a 5800 but I am not convinced that it is not set lower. I have trimmed out to a point wher the motor has caviated with only a slight increase in the RPMs.

NOSLEEP

Commander

The e-tec 90 has a maximum WOT range of 5500 rpm<br />What altitude are you operating in ? <br />My e-tec 90 max WOT rpm is 5000, but I am running<br />at 5000 ft. When I run under 2000 ft its at 5300 rpm.

I am operating at Sea Level (Atlantic Ocean) so I guesss that this would be a Zero.<br /><br />It appears that you have dropped at a rate of 1000 RPMs per 1000 ft so altitude has a definite affect.<br /><br />Maybe my engine is set for the incorrect elevation.<br /><br />What type of prop are you running.<br /><br />I was thinking on trying a 13 X 19 but am unsure of the effects on RPM or speed.

NOSLEEP

Commander

The EMM will automatically adjust the engines fuel<br />ratios and timing for elevation changes.<br />I am running a 13-3/4 x15 prop. My boat is only<br />16'3" and weight is 1000lbs dry.<br />At 5000 rpm I am getting 33mph with a gps and<br />38 mph on the speedometer. Thats plenty fast for<br />me and my fishing gear.<br />You may be underpowered for your set up.What is<br />the max hp rating for your boat.

With a GPS my speed is about 35 to 37 mph.<br /><br />I am not sure of the maximum rating but will find out from the dealer.<br /><br />I was making a comparsion with the four stroke Yamaha 90 hp that is running 6000 RPM and about 42mph on same type boat.<br /><br />I may very well be expecting too much and may have to settle for what I have.<br /><br />I can run it at 4800 RPM and only lose about 2 mph.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Evinrude has a performance test on its web site<br />it reads:<br /> 2004 Ranger 169 Ghost <br /> 16'9" length 82" beam 975 lbs dry weight<br /> 2004 Evinrude e-tec 90 hp @ 5000 rpm<br /> stainless 3 blade prop 13-7/8 x19<br /> <br /> Test conditions heavy chop<br /> wind 15 - 20 mph<br /> air temp 85 deg f<br /> fuel load 29 gallons<br /> 1 man 200 lbs<br /> full test gear 50 lbs<br /><br /><br /> Test results 44.7 mph<br /> best fuel efficiency 6.5 mph with range of<br /> 171 miles @ 27.4 mph.<br /><br /><br />Anyway if this boat can go 44 miles per hour.<br />One would think I would be able to go more <br />than 33 mph with a 2004 aluminum crestliner <br />16' 3" 1000 lb dry weight on a perfectly<br />calm, windless, "water like glass day"<br /><br />So much for performance tests..........

NOSLEEP

Commander

DJ, for evinrudes performance reports go to<br />evinrude.com....click on e-tec motor (picture)<br />wait for advertizment to end.......click on, <br />"Durability,Quality,&Reliability".........at<br />bottom of page click on "Performance Reports"...<br />scroll to...2004 evinrude e-tec 90hp 2004 ranger<br />169 ghost.

These performance test are not too impressive. The gas consumption really blows my mind.<br /><br />The power factor does not appear to be much better. So much from the Yukon report that compared the 50 E Tec with the 75 Yamaha. That must have been a very special model.<br /><br />Compare with a regular old two stroke, a Yamaha or Mariner four stroke and I have to say that Bombardier certainly did not earn any bragging rights with their new E Tec.<br /><br />Prior to purchasing I tried to get info on gas consumption from the dealer but without success. Now I find that these test were completed in 2003. I little bit deceptive I would think.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Test results 44.7 mph<br />best fuel efficiency 6.5 mph with range of<br />171 miles @ 27.4 mph.<br /><br />6.5 GPH? Thats alot of fuel.<br /><br />My 95 Evinrude 48 2 banger on a 15'9" fiberglass CC hull rings out 32mph with flat water and wind not pushing against me. I burn 3 GPH at 20-22 cruising mph. These are GPS verified speeds. numbers.<br /><br />Something doesn't sound right with those E-Tec specs. I have my eye on the 90 to replace the 48 when she goes. Very interesting info here....