Evinrude E-Tec vs Mercury OptiMax

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude E-Tec vs Mercury OptiMax

Mercury made snowmobiles at one time...they no longer do because the ones they made ran like hell, but seized like crazy too.<br />besides OMC has outboard at least as long as Merc, if not longer.

BillP

Captain

Evinrude was making motors before Merc was a "glint in the eye". Evinrude started in 1909 and Merc's own label started in 1940 (K1). Merc's first motors were converted THORs for Montgomery Ward in the 1938-39 time frame. Merc got started by buying the bankrupt THOR factory in 1938 to make electrical auto parts. A few hundred THORs came with the deal and Merc ended up going into the ob business instead.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

besides OMC has outboard at least as long as Merc, if not longer.
Thats pretty funny.. :eek: <br /><br /><br />
Mercury made snowmobiles at one time...they no longer do because the ones they made ran like hell, but seized like crazy too.
Good night Troll.....

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Troll? Id rather jig,lol.

EFIS

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by tommays:<br /> if you look at the e-tec parent company they build what are considered the finest motors in the world for many other uses than boats<br /><br />there is really not a bomb in there wide product line<br /><br /><br />tommays
Cant agree with you there<br />Brand spanking new Lear Jet 45 (Bomba*****)<br />Window need replacing after 80 hours<br />Paint coming off the tail, around front<br /><br />Etc Etc Etc<br /><br />What a heap of C**p<br />Anyways just my two cents

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chevy vs Ford Evinrude vs Mercury. Whats the point? Both motors are good. I have had great satisfaction owning OMC products. Bombardier saw something there too. I myself would go with Evinrude. In reality buy what you want its your money. Im sure either motor will give great service.<br /> PS Bombardier recreational products does not build Lear jets, Bombardier does. Two separate companys.

walleyehed

Admiral

EFIS, the 45 Off-lease, new, refurb??<br />New paint doesn't just separate from the structure unless you have been OVER manuvering speed in heavy rain/hail, ect...<br />80 hours on a window is a fluke. I replaced 2 in a 690B commander, both times co-pilot side. (20K each)within 100 hours. Insurance paid for both, but that don't mean squat about the 4 million+ hours the turbine commanders have been flying.<br />I'll look through the AD's and see just how bad the 45 is. The 45 came out in 1997, then the 45XR in 2003...I assume you have an XR??????

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br />
Did you EVER wonder why no other manufacturer will dispute claims of the E-Tec smoking their engines???? Hummmmm.......Because IT DOES.
I'm not sure what spec you are speaking of when you say "Smoking their engines"<br /><br />But I have seen SEVERAL reviews that all showed Merc's as being faster than E-tec's, when compairing to the same HP.<br /><br />-TheChad

walleyehed

Admiral

Can you show or list a location of that report???<br />I'm speaking specifically of the 225 versions.<br />I'm sure somewhere in the fleet, there is a merc that might outrun an E-Tec by 1/2mph or so.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Myoutboards wrote:<br />
nobody makes a dud, except maybe if KIA made outboards.
I ought to leave that one alone, I really ought to. But I can't. My sportage has 196,000 miles on it, and is driven every day. If KIA made an outboard I'd look at it very carefully.<br /><br />I can't give you any advice on an outboard, I think most of them are good if you take care of them.

phatmanmike

Captain

well your kia is a rare find my friend. good for you.<br /><br />there is a reason they are the cheapest cars out there, though. corners are cut some where, and money must be save some how, or we would all drive BENZ's<br /><br />anyways, WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD?<br /><br />HEY CHAD.... are you ever gonna get a motor, or just keep asking which is better? sheesh

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by myoutboards:<br /> HEY CHAD.... are you ever gonna get a motor, or just keep asking which is better? sheesh
Yeah, when i find $20,000.<br /><br />Actually i will probably buy my boat/motor next year when the 2005's are going for clearance prices.<br /><br />As to which motor, I still don't know there just too much information going both ways.<br /><br />I'm going to have to make that choice on the spot when the time comes.<br /><br />-TheChad

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br /> Can you show or list a location of that report???<br />I'm speaking specifically of the 225 versions.<br />I'm sure somewhere in the fleet, there is a merc that might outrun an E-Tec by 1/2mph or so.
I believe the report i was speciffically speaking of was either the 90HP, or the 115HP. And it was by like 3mph.<br /><br />I don't remember where I was reading that, but if/when i find it again, I will post it.<br /><br />-TheChad

walleyehed

Admiral

That would be fine...I think we will see in every catagory there is going to be a hot-rod that may not be brand specific, but it's good to stay up on these things, so that info would be great if you run across it again....Thanks.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Get your hands on a 2>4 DVD from Evinrude (it's free).<br /><br />It tells you a good bit about how it work, and has several tests showing comparisons between the major competition.<br /><br />Pretty impressive.<br /><br />Now if E-Tec only made a 150....<br /><br />SQ

Johnnielund

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was told by a local marina (Naperville, IL) that 150 E-Tec will be out very soon.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Johnnie, <br /><br />I sure hope so! I think I'll do some calling and see what I can find out.<br /><br />I need to re-power, and I'm looking at Yamaha Vmax, Opti, or E-tec. I'm leaning towards the E-Tec after riding in a boat powered by a 200hp...but they don't have a dang 150 yet!<br /><br />It seems to me that the 150 is one of the most popular sizes..I would think that would be one of the first engines I would make!<br /><br />SQ