Evinrude 9.9 Stall

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1976 Evinrude 9.9 Model 10624H with a strange stall problem. It starts good and idles OK for trolling. Dies once and a while trolling but always restarts with 1 pull. The stalling problem always seems to occur like this, Start motor and warm up, leave dock, full throttle for 2.5km, troll for an hour or two, stalls on occasion but 1 pull restart, full throttle back to dock, but on returning to idle to approach the dock the motor stalls. It takes 15-20 pulls to restart, it tries to start with the tiller turned to highest position but takes a lot of pulls and then away it goes with no more trouble. It sounds like it is flooding but why. I have recently changed the water pump, fuel pump, fuel lines, plugs ( not fouled ). I've had the carb apart and cleaned it, there was nothing in the bowl. Tank vent working. The primer bulb it a little soft when this occurs but 1 pump brings it back so I don't think it is a lack of fuel. The stalling has happened the last 4 times I've had the motor in the water. It has always been a bit of a panic when it happens as we try to keep from drifting to shore so I've have not been able to confirm spark on failure. Suggestions welcome.

Rick.

Captain
Re: Evinrude 9.9 Stall

When it starts after the 15 pulls does it smoke a lot more than normal? If yes it sounds like it's flooded. If no, it could be fuel starved. Next time try giving it some choke and see if it starts quicker. With the occasional stalling at troll speed it sounds like fuel delivery as well. A carb. kit would not be a bad idea if you haven't done one for a long time. Best of luck. Rick.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 9.9 Stall

Agree with Rick; it sure sounds like the carb needs rebuilt and thoroughly cleaned. Pay close attention to the float and needle valve/seat assembly. It could be sticking open/closed at various times.