Evinrude 9.5 how long until thermostat opens

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all ,just got a 1969 Evinrude sportwin 9.5 got it running still in the fine tune stages,but I'm wondering how long it needs to run before the thermostat opens up,it seemed warmer than I thought it should be,new water pump impeller, gasket,gear case rebuilt, never owned a outboard with a thermostat,so I'm not sure

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take the thermostat out and test it.-----They are often missing or stuck open.-----Tested one last week that refused to open in boiling water.-----Should be open at about 160F

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hey all ,just got a 1969 Evinrude sportwin 9.5 got it running still in the fine tune stages,but I'm wondering how long it needs to run before the thermostat opens up,it seemed warmer than I thought it should be,new water pump impeller, gasket,gear case rebuilt, never owned a outboard with a thermostat,so I'm not sure
Pretty quick...couple of minutes maybe

Invest in one of these.

Attachments

• IMG_20220915_164125751_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220915_164125751_HDR.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 3

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pretty quick...couple of minutes maybe

Invest in one of these.
I've considered buying on the those,it ran for around 3-5 minutes,it was way warmer than my 18hp ever got ,don't think the thermostat had ever been replaced, original OEM,had a hell of a time getting it out

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I've considered buying on the those,it ran for around 3-5 minutes,it was way warmer than my 18hp ever got ,don't think the thermostat had ever been replaced, original OEM,had a hell of a time getting it out
Yes, well your cooling passages could be plugged up as well.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes ,never really considered that,what's the odds of that happening tho? And if so what's the best option to clean them out ?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Yes ,never really considered that,what's the odds of that happening tho? And if so what's the best option to clean them out ?
High if it's salt water use and not flushed regularly.

Pull off the head and water jacket and clean. Try the t-stat first maybe you will get lucky.
Also, your motor might not even be running hot because your guessing.

You'll get there.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't think it's ever been used in salt water,but say 100% just ogt it two weeks ago,and yes that's what I'm going to start off with,is a new thermostat, my 60 18hp runs cool,can lay my hand on the power head it's nice and cool ,this 9.5 was considerably warmer,need to get a non contact thermometer that'd help

tphoyt

Ensign
What makes you think it’s not opening?
Is it not pumping water or you just think its hot?
It should still pump even before t-stat opens

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's pumping water good enough,it just seems warmer than I think it should be, compared to my 60 18hp Evinrude,gonna test the stat and see if it opens

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 18 should be running quite warm.------These thermostats are often neglected.----I see many stuck open !

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 18 should be running quite warm.------These thermostats are often neglected.----I see many stuck open !
My 18 doesn't have a thermostat, from what I can tell it's OEM from 1969 on the 9.5 ,it's just something new I've never dealt with before

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The early 18 HP did not have a thermostat.----- From 1959 and newer they all had one.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed----That is why they did not make many changes for 15 years or more.----Easy to maintain and parts are everywhere.