Evinrude 40hp 1989 shifting rod

EvinrudeRicky

Recruit
Put a water pump in and must have gotten the shifting rod out of adjustment. Neutral and forward was fine but wouldn't go into reverse. Pulled the lower unit off today and the shifting rod in neutral position will move up and down 1/4". Is this normal? If so, where do I put the rod to measure it for the correct adjustment?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20201023_134312.mp4
    49.4 MB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You may need to investigate this.-----I do not believe the shift rod has any play in neutral.

EvinrudeRicky

Recruit
You may need to investigate this.-----I do not believe the shift rod has any play in neutral.
That is what I was thinking. There's not enough movement when I move the remote shifter to have anywhere near that much play. Thanks for replying!

EvinrudeRicky

Recruit
Thanks racerone, got it completely apart and everything to do with the shifting linkage is very tight. I am at a loss! The clutch dog is very precise in fwd, neutral, and reverse as far as the detent balls go. Don't remember which, but moving the clutch dog one way is hard and the other direction is easy but that still doesn't explain the play in my linkage. A few months ago all the outboard mechanics were so booked up that they wouldn't even talk to me. If I can't figure something out, I will find the location and take my parts there and pay for his time to see if he finds something wrong.