Evinrude 25 Project - Rocky Start

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Finally found time to mess with my new motor, a '77 25 HP Rude. Would like this to be the main motor for the MirroCraft. So need to make sure everything is adjusted and working correctly.

Not off to the greatest start. Wanted to pull plugs and check compression. Plugs gapped wrong (I think?) at .045, now .030. While trying to test compression, with every pull more of the rope stayed out until now it's all out and won't retract.

Ever since got it, this thing has been a ***** to pull. This is my first this large, so all I have to compare it to is my Fastwin 18 which pulls with a lot less effort.

Any ideas? Never run into this problem before and did not here a snap or any funny sounds before the rope decided it would rather reside outside the motor than inside where it belongs!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is / was the rope properly timed on the recoil ???-----Confused you say ?----Take a good look at the rope sheave.-----It was a simple concept developed like 60 years ago.-----Sheave is elliptical and gives a common man a mechanical advantage against compression.----That is if it is set up correctly.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Not as confused so much as unedjimicated. Never had to take one apart before. I imagine it's a pretty simple device, but don't follow what you're saying about the rope being timed. Could you explain it so a noob might follow what you're saying? Guess I might as well pull it off now. Something had to come loose.....

flashback

Captain
Look for some arrows to line up.----And look for electric start kit.
I like that! The bit about the starter kit..
The sheave is timed to the compression to make pulling the rope a bit easier but if that old motor isn't in perfect tune you will exhaust yourself quickly..

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
I like that too! Wish I knew which year and size motors are potential donors. This motor could well be out of tune too. The guy who owned it, like the guy before him I don't think had a clue.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Has to be 25 HP?

Found a short piece of what looks like black fuel line wedging the rope tight against the pulley. Wouldn't budge. Was torn and frayed so I pried it out and now the recoil works again. Going to need a starter for this brute though. It's mighty tough to pull over. Puzzled over what piece of hose is supposed to do. The rope went right through the middle of it.

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has to be 25 HP?

Found a short piece of what looks like black fuel line wedging the rope tight against the pulley. Wouldn't budge. Was torn and frayed so I pried it out and now the recoil works again. Going to need a starter for this brute though. It's mighty tough to pull over. Puzzled over what piece of hose is supposed to do. The rope went right through the middle of it.
That is off the "T" handle. It's an extension of the handle to center on recoil back into the cover, and they sometimes break off and get jammed in the pulley. As for starters recoil and electric, as long as your flywheel has a ring gear, starters from 18hp to 35hp and their brackets should work. Johnson or Evinrude.

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Definitely! BUY THE BOOK! there all kinds of nuances to the assembly and repair of outboard motors. Spend the $30 on the book!

Last edited:

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Study the parts diagrams on this or other sites for your engine, compare part numbers on other models to confirm fit.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
What do you mean by ring gear? I'm not keen on paying for a manual. Esp a digital one. I got too many toys for that. I've found a free manual for just about every one of them. Surely somebody has scanned and put up a copy somewhere haven't they?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A manual is not in the cards ?----A manual will save you lots of beer tokens , and blisters on your fingers , cuts and bruises.---Sleepless night too.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
If we all bought manuals, would we even need these forums? LOL Hey, I like manuals, but I'm not paying 30 bucks for some old piece of crap dog-eared manual. I don't even want a paper one, I'd like something digital.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
see pics

Attachments

• Recoil position.JPG
    Recoil position.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 5
  • recoil.JPG
    recoil.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 5