evinrude 1985 235 problems need help

CORKY 2

Recruit
SO FAR I PUT 3 NEW PLUG WIRES 2NEW POWER PACKS 6NEW PLUGS2NEW FUEL PUMP KITS NEW PRIMER BULB NEW FUEL LINES AND A NEW WIRING HARNESS BOAT BOGS DOWN:mad: UNDER FULL POWER PRESSED PRIMER PUMPED BALL RUNS WORSE IF YOU GIVE IT MOORE GAS NEED HELP

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: evinrude 1985 235 problems need help

You may get a better response by turning your caps lock off and using some punctuation. The way you have it makes me dizzy.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If the engine slows when the primer solenoid is activated, the engine is not running lean. That engine originally came with a VRO pump. Since you indicate you have two fuel pumps, it sounds like you have replaced the VRO with a pair of the older type pumps. The older dual pumps are not considered rebuildable by the factory. They don't offer rebuild kits for them. There is probably a reason why they don't offer rebuild kits for them. Have you checked for a fuel restriction, such as the anti-siphon valve? What's the compression?

CORKY 2

Recruit

THERE are kits avilable for the old pumps cost about 12$,where is the sphion valve located?on the feed line from the tank.I havent done a compression check.BOATruns fine low speed thanks.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The factory pump diaphragm kits are for the V4 models only, up through 1983. The anti-siphon valve is the hose barb that screws into the topside of the fuel tank fitting. There is a ball and spring inside which can malfunction (cause a restriction) af any debris gets sucked up into the mechanism.