Evinrude 18 hp 1957 not starting

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Evinrude 18 hp 1957 not starting

Right
Ordered a fitted a new woodruff key and torqued down correctly....old one was ok
Compression is 110 and 100
New coils and points and condensers fitted and gapped to 20 thou ( set at both top on cam and woodruff key as well )
I can get the timing on cam to open at the 1st position on flywheel but at the 2 position full throttle its not fully open and it needs to be out by at least 10 mm to achieve that....linkages on carb have not been touched.
I stripped and cleaned carbs and fitted all new parts but no fuel is reaching plugs
Will run poorly for a few seconds if I squirt easy start into plugs and backfires occasionally..
Needle jets are perfect and adjusted to factory settings for initial starts etc
How big should the rubber be on the cam follower roller as mine is quite run down and level with the metal housing

Last edited:

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Clutching at straws....
I know open reed valves would prevent fuel being drawn into cylinders but would it prevent it starting up like the problem I am having, even squirting easy start into cylinders it still doesn't start fully....it partial fires as you see exhaust smoke coming out of leg

mgsolakis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've had the exact same problem with my Johnson 18 hp of a near year to that. I'm working on it this weekend and will post if I figure it out. It will start and run rough with oil gas mix in cyl but it does not get fuel.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lol........it will be something simple
i have compression / spark and fuel in cylinder and it still defys me

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check the stator plate and brass ring underneath for play as if they is movement on cranking it will throw the timing out

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I don't see anywhere where you say that you VERIFIED that the spark will jump a 1/4" open air gap. You need an adjustable tester for this. Do not test by holding the plug to the block, that tells you diddly. It must jump that gap.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will try and get one
Thought it be ok as its got brand new coils / leads/ caps/points/ plugs and condenser......it turns over very quickly on the starter and I do notice slight movement on the throttle linkage arm

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Even when new, the point often need cleaning after setting. Did you do that?

I run a points file through them first. If you don't have one, wet/dry folded in half will work. Blow out with compressed air. Do not use emory. Then dip a business card stock, or paper that wont leave fibres in acetone or laquer thinner, and run that through to clean them. They need to be spotless, you would be surprised the little amount of oil, even fingerprint, that will limit spark.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Even when new, the point often need cleaning after setting. Did you do that?

I did clean them but I will file this time and reset them.....it's confusing when you read how to set them.....some say when heel at points is at the area marked top and some say when opposite woodruff key.

nwcove

Admiral

The word "top" usually only signifies that the its the top of the cam, To set the points, with a feeler guage,align the rubbing block on the points with the key.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Some cams will have "SET", in that case use that, but as stated, not "TOP", that only signifies which way to install cam. Most of the time, the key is the way to go. Just find the widest point.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update.....
Removed stator and points and cleaned and set up as instructed..
Replaced flywheel and tested for spark.....since I have not spark tester I just spun flywheel by hand and it sparked.
Unfortunately I moved the engine to my other garage and whilst opening door the engine toppled and damaged a part.
This part fits between tiller arm and the adjusting arm for the stator linkage
I have repaired it but not Sussed how to fit it as yet
Before I noticed on cranking the stator plate would move which would obviously affect timing.
This time I turned the flywheel by hand and noticed the plate would move at a certain point as I marked it etc
Turns out that one of my coils was slightly out and rubbing on flywheel etc
With this rectified I tried to start with fuel in cylinders and it's getting better and wants to
So will source a roller cam rubber as mine is really worn and try again