Evinrude 120 V4 Miss almost every second rmp

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
So the motor ran great all season would start up first turn of the key, every time would only need fast idle about 1” up then once started push it down straight away.

I couldn’t get to the boat so I asked a friend to go and move it for me. It was at the side of a slip and had to get it to the pontoon.

Told him how to start it he said yeah no probs, I have been around boats for years he said. So he took down a 5 gallon tank of fuel. The connection is a standard clip on female fuel connector. Just push the clip on and that’s it.
After an hour he came back saying he couldn’t get the boat started. He had the connector on the wrong way. The spring on the fuel line.

Once I got down to the boat I saw straight away what he had done. So I tried in vain to get her to start but he had flattened the battery.

Next day I go back to the boat start her up but she was not running how she should. After about 10 min of driving I knew something wasn’t right. So I check the fuel tank and somehow there was water in the fuel. I took the carbs off and cleaned then the best I could. I ran fresh fuel through her and she was ok for 5 min then the engine would cut out on every other rev. Is there something seriously wrong or is there still water in the fuel ????

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How did you determine " every other rev " as it is about 12 revolutions per second at idle.-----Perhaps use a timing light to see if it is an ignition miss.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Will have to wait till our lockdown if over before i can get back to the boat. I understand what you mean about explaining the miss. It seems to go up and down as the revs go up and down.
I put a new CDI unit on last year. Due to covid the boat was only used about 40 hours since the new CDI, Hopefully its a simple lose wire.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Did you tear down carbs?
Yup twice just a strip down and blow through. Was going to put them in a sonic bath but forgot to take it with me.
The boat is 75 miles away from me.
Was looking for droplets of water only seen a small amount in the bowls. Thoroughly dried and blown with air duster.
The thing is now we have a full country wide lock down so going up to the boat is a no go. Trying to gather as much info as i can. This is the only looper i have ever owned. Learned so far the carbs feed opposite cylinder, The bowls are plastic and are prone to warping. Checked them on a sheet of glass with 1200 wet and dry. Not sure on the link and sync ???
Is it roughly the same as a cross flow ??