Evil spirit, poltergeist. UPDATE. He's baaaaaack

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
An evil spirit inhabits my 'puter.

AVG doesn't see it, Windows security doesn't see it. None of my "protector" software see it.

At random times it speaks to me. It says something that sounds like, "Semes dragon?".

Several simple features of WXP and IE7 don't work.
No "click" when I click the mouse.
No audio when I play most videos.
Highlight of selected options is only intermittent.

Many features of aol 9.0 don't work.
No vocal greeting.
Won't open a site on the web.
No IM
Won't open a link.

Everything worked, and well, after the upgrade to WXP and aol9.0.

Sometime when (re)loading applications for GPS and cameras, and exchanging many Emails with Garmin to get three generations of Mapsource navigators unlocked, the evil one appeared.

Sound familiar? Am I going to have to reformat and reload everything again? :%:%:':)'(

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Evil spirit, poltergeist. That you, ZmOz?

How long has this been happening? If it is recent (ie last 30 days)

Programs
Accessories
System Tools
Restore Pick a restore date back a few weeks......

That might fix it.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Try spybot and adaware, run one, then the other. Also go to C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch and delete everything out of there. Also delete all temporary files in C:\WINDOWS\Temp, as well as all cookies and temp internet files.

JB

Thnx, gents. I will try all of the above. :)

Ron G

Commander

You been in the scotchd:)d:)d:)d:)d:)d:)it may be the ghost of old zapped posts.i couldnt resist.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Ghost of Christmas present.............
Restore to previous point always worked for me...

JB

Yeah, guys. A ghost. That's why I asked if it was ZmOz.

Bob: I tried restoring. Didn't work. :(

Eric: I finally found my way to Prefetch and Temp. There's a lot of stuff in there!! :% I am intimidated. If I delete all that stuff am I going to create more problems?

How do I delete cookies and internet temps?

dolluper

Captain

When in Internet Explorer surfing the web click on tools at top of page down to internet options click ,middle of that windows click delete cookies/then ok temperory internet files/then ok......this is the fast way B-U-T you then will be slower in your favorites sites as the cookie has to reattach no big deal for high speed though

i386

Captain

Prefetch and temp files are safe to delete. These are good maintenance items but probably not going to fix your problem.

You said XP upgrade. Did you upgrade from an earlier version of Windows? If that is the case I think you would benefit from backing up your data, formatting and installing XP clean. More power to you if you want to fix it. I put a clean install of XP on my computers about once a year. You will nearly always inherit something undesirable from an upgrade.

I'll give this advice to anyone willing to read it...

For each program you use, learn where the data associated with it "lives". Learn how to backup and restore that data.

For each piece of hardware in your system, learn which drivers windows installs "automagically" and which ones you'll need to install yourself. For the latter know how to obtain these drivers from the manufacturers web site.

Tackle just those two things and you'll be empowered to take it down to "bare metal" if need be.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

i386, I disagree, to a point about the prefetch. I have encountered many times after a program is removed, either with cp or antispyware that part of the offending program resides in prefetch and tries to start the program that no longer exists, thus creating errors and popup errors.

I am not a beleiver in AVG. I know it's free, great. I feel it does an OK job, but you get what you pay for. I am also not a beleiver in the full anti virus-firewall-anti spyware bundles either. But I do like and use the symantec AV by itself. Yeah I kow the argument about it using to many resources. Once agian I disagree if only the AV is used.

ZmOz

Captain

JB said:
Yeah, guys. A ghost. That's why I asked if it was ZmOz.

Just so I'm clear here - has your status officially changed from moderator to troll yet?

JB

Not you? Well who, then?8)

ZmOz

Captain

Maybe your computer is just trying to commit suicide because it can't stand the old man smell anymore. ;)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

ZmOz said:
Maybe your computer is just trying to commit suicide because it can't stand the old man smell anymore. ;)

Now that there is funny!!d:)

i386

Captain

Plainsman said:
i386, I disagree, to a point about the prefetch. I have encountered many times after a program is removed, either with cp or antispyware that part of the offending program resides in prefetch and tries to start the program that no longer exists, thus creating errors and popup errors.

I am not a beleiver in AVG. I know it's free, great. I feel it does an OK job, but you get what you pay for. I am also not a beleiver in the full anti virus-firewall-anti spyware bundles either. But I do like and use the symantec AV by itself. Yeah I kow the argument about it using to many resources. Once agian I disagree if only the AV is used.

I will concede about prefetch, sort of...

It won't hurt to delete items in there, but Windows is actually supposed to maintain that for you. Prefetch is a "feature" of XP that improves performance. It's used to fetch parts of frequently used programs ahead of time (before you use them) to make them load faster. No programs are started from prefetch (like the startup folders). deleting everything in there is safe, but actually slows down the system until Windows re-populates the folder.

Norton AV is ok if you don't use the whole security suite. However, don't be so quick to dismiss AVG because it's free. They (Grisoft) do have a commercial version which has a few more features that the free one. I choose AVG because it's much less invasive, has no discernible performance cost and is very quick to install (and uninstall for that matter). Norton, OTHO is a larger program that adds a ridiculous number of registry keys. Failed uninstalls are not uncommon (Symantec even makes utilities to remove their product after a failed uninstall). If the uninstall fails, the maunal procedure is long and painful, especially for a novice user. As far as detection and removal goes I have found both useful in removing nasties that the other wouldn't. I do, however almost always use AVG to disinfect a customers computer after they've let their Norton subscription die (or if Norton just hosed itself up).

If paying for something makes you all warm and fuzzy, I might add that the commercial version of AVG costs about the same as Norton (abour $40) but is licensed for 2 years instead of Norton's 1.

That's my 2 cents, and here's a nickel more regarding Symantec's Corporate Antivirus product....

I have recommended and implemented this solution since version 7 (we're now at version 10). Since around version 9 I have had lots of problems with it regarding email, network drives and worst of all incompatibilities with Backup Exec. I liked it because I could do remote installs and manage the software on many computers at once. Their refusal to fix the problem with Backup Exec (Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) bug) made me finally give up on it.

I have since been migrating my customers to AVG Network Edition as their Symantec licenses expire. It has the same remote install/management features and like it's home counterpart is not invasive at all. My customers are happier with it and they have remarked that their computers seem less sluggish with it. It too is licensed for 2 years instead of Symantec's 1.

I have this good to say about Symantec...

Their Virus database and removal instructions (and tools) are the best I've used though I haven't needed to use them much in the last year or so.

AVG network edition's install is slightly more difficult to install than Symantec Corporate, but no more difficult to use.

JB

Well, I did all of the above.

I even tried some deodorant, ZmOz. 8)

The poltergheist hasn't spoken to me today. Otherwise, no change.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Reload.....

JB

Thanks, Rick. I will do that.

KaGee

Admiral

FYI... I keep getting a pop-up that AVG "FREE" is no longer supported after Jan. 15th. They will upgrade you for $29.

Anyone else getting that?