EverStart Deep Cycle Battery

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1 year old EverStart Deep cycle battery (115 Ah). The guy I bought my trolling motor from gave it to me. He gave me the receipt for the gear, so I know its only a year old. It leaks from the top vent caps. The motor is strong. It pushed my boat around the lake for a little over 2 hrs (14' with a minn kota 40lb thrust) with the motor at max speed almost the whole time. So, whats causing it? How can I stop it?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: EverStart Deep Cycle Battery

Under what conditions does this leak occur? Have you checked the electrolyte level?

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a maint free battery I thought... It has the two large rectangle caps on top. So no, I havent checked any levels. And it leaks all the time, sitting, charging, using, whenever.

should leak all the time unless its overfilled even then it real shouldnt. while charging they will vent if they get warm and bubble up but if the batterys leaking while not being used then i would be a bit skeptical about it. if you have a digital volt meter what does it read?

NYBo

Admiral

I can understand it leaking when (over)charging, but while just sitting doesn't make any sense to me.:confused:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If its not acting right it should be replaced. For what ever reason.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Just a note guys. Walmart has a very nice digital meter for $19. It has temp sensor, non contact ac voltage sensing plus the regular fearures.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

internal problems would be my thought, and all it takes is one arc to turn it into a bomb.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer

Everstart is a walmart battery correct? I bought one for my boat, and it didnt even last me one season. Getting stranded in the bay is not fun! I'd guess an issue with the battery, seems their QC (or lack there of) is less than steller on these things.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Everstart is a walmart battery correct? I bought one for my boat, and it didnt even last me one season. Getting stranded in the bay is not fun! I'd guess an issue with the battery, seems their QC (or lack there of) is less than steller on these things.

Everstart is a Johnson Controls battery sold at Walmart under the Everstart branding.. and is the same exact battery as an Interstate, Sears Die Hard, Autozone, etc etc etc etc etc.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It charges to 13.6 and holds... It powers my rig around the lake as long as I want to stay out. I just have a major concern for this acid leaking all over the inside of my boat. I may build a tray for it.