Ever shot a machine gun?

Admin5

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I went out with a friend a few days ago and we shot a fully auto uzi and Mac11 SMG. What a great time! If any of you ever have wanted to shoot a machine gun and haven't, it is worth it! In most states you can go to a local gun shop that rents them and give it a try if you ever wondered what it would be like.

NathanY

Commander
Re: Ever shot a machine gun?

I have shot a HK MP5. Took longer to load 4 clips than it did to burn them.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

After 20 years in the service I actually got bored with them. They shoot too fast and waste too much ammo. <br /><br />A Mac 10 is sweet but way too fast!<br /><br />One shot - one kill.

LubeDude

Admiral

I was a hold over for a week after I got out of basic training, (Man, thats been awhile)1968.<br /><br />Boy, that dates me a bit. :eek: Anyway, We had the M16s then, and they had to shoot up the leftover amunition or they didnt get as much the next time, (you know how government works), We took M16s out to the range and a bunch of cans and such from the mess hall and shot on full auto for about two hours. What a ball. Thank you all that are older than me for paying for our fun. :D Got to shoot a 50 cal a bit also, now thats fun!

ehenry

Commander

yup, it was an old 45 caliber grease gun....didnt shoot fast but would plow the gound when it shot.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I shot a fully auto Uzi.I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it,but sure was fun. :D

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br /><br />in our war as the opposition being funded by the communists, I was able to fire numerous captured weapons from around the world as well as our own.<br /><br />AK47's (these never stopped working, truely amazing weapons)<br />RPK's (AK47 with bipod)<br />FN's R1 (stunning) and the MAG (stunning) <br />Vektor SS77 (stunning)<br />Uzi's<br />PKM's<br />G3's (absolute garbage)<br />R4 and R5 Assault Rifle (nice but uncomfortable to fire when not using the bipod)<br />Bren's rechambered for 7,62 (made for .303 we fired 7.62 in them which also caused stoppages due to the inability of the breech block to accurtately pick up the round)<br />Vickers .303<br />DPM (what a smooth action)<br /><br />We would always load 1 tracer round for each 4 sharp rounds in a magazine or 1 in ten in a belt. This helped to direct fire and gave troops in combat an idea as to how close they could get to friendly fire as well as encouraging them to know fire was reigning down on the enemy.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I was trained on Uzi,Galil,AK47,M16,Mach,0.30 Browning, 0.50FN and last but most spectacular a six barrel Vulcan anti aircraft MG.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

.50 BMG, Thompson .45ACP.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

When doing some work with the DEA I got to shoot a bunch of their seized weapons. <br />The MP5 is cool but not my choice.<br />M16, M14, AK57 (very heavy and impossible to control after 3rd round), don't remember what it was but they called it a space gun. That was a plastic junk too. The trigger was a 3 finger job.<br />My favortie was an old German WW2 9mm sub gun. Also an old tommy gun was kind of cool. The UZI or Mac 10 were cool but a waste of ammo. Impossible to hit anything.

baja power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

own 3<br /><br />M-16 ( 3 round burst) Ak-47 ( romananin) and a HK MP5 ( non folding stock)

Link

Rear Admiral

Can we say Rock N Roll<br />M16 & 50 cal Military <br />Tons of fun unless your paying for it :D

surplusman

Seaman Apprentice

M-16, Browning 50cal, M-203, AK-47, M-60<br /><br />Own a G3, and down to just one Romanian AK-47<br />All this firepower is fun and cool, but I can inflict much more damage with my Ruger deer rifle. one shot, one kill. As an American, I hate to say it, but the AK is probably the best battle rifle ever. Cheap to produce, fairly accurate(at least mine is), ammo is cheap, inflict a fair amount of damage, and they are non-stoppable. Drop that sucker in the mud or pour a cup of dirt in the breech, and BAM, it keeps going. Gotta say though, the M4 does have some sex appeal.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

M-14, M-16, .50BMG while in the service. A buddy has a supressed Mac-9. I sort of got tired of them too.<br /><br />For the last 25 years, the challenge for me has been precision shooting from a bench rest. .30cal. bolt action rifles, and single shot .50BMG.<br /><br />Of all the weapons I've fired, the single shot .50BMG has been the most fun and challenging to shoot well with.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

While it is true that a Kalatsnikov (ak47)will fire no matter what.It is also true that an m16 weighs much less.I have seen the damage an AK47 bullet does .It has a small entrance hole and a bigger exit hole, but not by much.The M16 damage, although it is only a 5.56mm bullet. is much more impressive.The AK47 is designed to wound and kill,the M16 is designed to wound and maim and make a lot of soldiers scream on the battle field instead of just die and be quiet.It is a psychological weapon as well as a wounding one.

Link

Rear Admiral

Your correct rolmops. Had classes on that in the military 71-91. That little light weight bullet will enter a foot and travel right up along the body and come out a arm pit.<br />Winger Ed. sounds like a retired army sniper friend of mine. I cant see a 1000 yards on the range and he prints in the black! 308 sniper rifle.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

M-14 (full auto selector installed)<br />M-16A2 (But only three round selector)<br />Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW 5.56 auto)<br />M-60 (7.62)<br />.50 Cal M2 (The funnest of all just for the feel)<br />25mm Bushmaster