Ever met anyone famous?

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Just curious.<br />Have you ever met anyone famous and did they live up to your expectations or did they turn out to be a little less inspiring than you imagined?<br /><br />I've met the Queen and she turned out to be a lot smaller than I thought (around 5'3" maybe 5' 4").<br /><br />Met Robin Knox-Johnson (sailor of some repute in Britain) and he wasn't very interesting at all.<br /><br />Met Billy Connolly and he's just the same as on the TV: bonkers :eek:

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ever met anyone famous?

I got drunk with Jerry Van Dyke years ago when I was in college. Very nice guy but couldn't hold his liquor.

Ron G

Commander

I used to work concerts as a side job met all kinds of singers ate lunch with vince gill he was really down to earth,worked with reba she was nice to,some of the rappers were asses but there was alot of them pretty nice too,when i did hardwood floors i installed wynoa judds she was cool and also worked on george jones :) :) most of the people i meet was fairly nice,some were spoilt.

Tinkrrr

Seaman Apprentice

Around 1965-6? I held Marlene Dietrich's feet in my callow 15 y.o. hands as I fitted her for some moccasins in a shop I worked in in a flash hotel here. I'd never liked her but, yuk!, she was ugly without makeup, not that she was too flash with it. Also terrible smoker's cough. I had not the least desire to move my hands above her feet.<br /><br />About the same time I, as a devotee of World Championship Wrestling, served Brute Bernard (or some similar wrestling animal, but I recall it was him) in the same shop. I thought the animal acts by these blokes were just an act and that they were normal people outside the ring. I did the usual "May I help you, Sir?" and this bloke just went right off the planet, glaring and snarling and growling and generally frightening the tripe out of me. I retreated very rapidly. I never fitted him for moccasins, or anything else.

LadyFish

Admiral

I sat and had drinks and a nice two hour conversation with Alan Shepherd years ago in Houston. He autographed a picture for me which reads "Are you ready to go to the moon Connie?"<br /><br />He was an incredible flirt, quite the ladies man. :)

ehenry

Commander

Drank beer, ate pizza and watched Monday night football with Mathew McConauhe<sp>, Samuel Jackson and Sandra Bullock when they were filming "A Time To Kill" in Canton. We were watching it at Poppa's Pizza up on the square in town and they came in when there were done filming. All were really nice and Samuel Jackson bought us a couple rounds of cold beer. McConauhe and Bullock are two funny folks. They kept us laughing all night.

eeboater

Commander

I hung out with Gilbert Brown quite a bit when I was younger. Back when he was big in Green Bay.

PW2

Commander

I met Margaret Trudeau (then the Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau's wife) on a chair lift at the Grouse Mtn ski area in Vancouver B.C.<br /><br />I had no idea who she was at the time, but she was awfully cute, and as I was single and in college, of course I asked her out for a date. She very politely declined explaining that she was married, and that her husband "worked for the government"<br /><br />When I got off the lift, my friends who knew who she was explained it to me.<br /><br />I also knew Edgar Kaiser Jr fairly well, as a close friend in college was Kaiser's grandson, and we spent a fair amount of time at his compound on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands.<br /><br />I helped him catch his first salmon, as he heard us talking about going salmon fishing, and asked if he could go along. That next morning we came down to his dock he was getting his 90' Yacht ready to go, I told him whoa! You can't catch any fish in that thing, and that if he wanted to go we were going in the "Squirrel" an open 21' single banger wooden work boat.<br /><br />He reluctantly agreed after we explained we had sandwiches packed already, and 30 minutes out, he hooked and landed a 15lb salmon.<br /><br />To say he was thrilled would be a vast understatement. Anyway we were invited to the main house for dinner (seating for about 80, jacket and tie required) and we ate the salmon that nite, while listening to him recount every last detail of his adventure to us and his guests. <br /><br />It was fun! and he was a nice guy. We got into some spirited political discussions from time to time, but he was always my buddy after that!

KRS

Banned

I ran behind Forrest Gump for 4 months, thought he "had it all figured out", ahh well.... he just turned to us, said he was tired, and that he wanted to go home.<br /><br />What a big disappointment.

Tinkrrr

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by azfyrfyter63:<br /> I ran behind Forrest Gump for 4 months, thought he "had it all figured out", ahh well.... he just turned to us, said he was tired, and that he wanted to go home.<br /><br />What a big disappointment.
Not as disappointing as when I worked on his shrimp boat with the legless lieutenant.<br /><br />All they ever talked about was shrimp.<br /><br />I got tired and went home.

QC

Supreme Mariner

LOL at AZ . . .<br /><br />I met and shook hands with Lyndon Johnson when I was 6. Don't remember much.<br /><br />Robin Williams backstage at Leno. Very subdued and NOT the guy on stage . . .<br /><br />Phil Collins on a plane. He was very nice and answered questions, I was sitting right behind him and I think his bodyguard was getting annoyed.<br /><br />Mike Piazza on a plane. He managed to avoid any recognition until we were leaving the plane and I asked him how he got a away with that? He said "just got lucky I guess". He was fairly talkative and shared some about his workout habits.

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In high school I worked at the county fair and got to meet John Berry. He was really nice. He rode in on his motorcycle while we were setting up the arena, before the tour bus arrived. He came in and talked with us until the tour bus arrived(approx. 10 minutes). Then introduced us to the band/family and asked us if we could help unload equipment. <br />I also got to meet the Povertyneck Hillbillies at a New Years Concert(working security) they even gave all the security guards a CD.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm. I have many years on most of you.<br /><br />I met George Marshall when I was about 12. I went to his home and knocked on the door. His butler wanted to run me off, but he came out, took me to his terrace and offered me lemonade and cookies. He was a gracious host.<br /><br />I met Omar Bradley in what was then Washington National Airport. I was in uniform and saluted as he approached. He returned my salute and stopped to ask me where I was from and where I was going. His entourage stood around while he made small talk with a Navy white hat. I was very impressed.<br /><br />I met Jane Russell in a little burger shack at Kewalo Yacht Basin in Honolulu. She came in and popped up on the stool next to mine. She was on a break from shooting a scene for The Revolt of Mamie Stover on the beach nearby. Much more beautiful, and smaller, than she appeared on the screen. We talked about the weather. She was very nice.<br /><br />Met Elvis in the pits at a Karting Race near Memphis. He was such a charming and courteous young man. I let him take my machine out for a few laps. He was the sort of man any mother would be proud of in those days.<br /><br />I met a few people in my racing days that would later become famous... Lee and Richard Petty, Jerry Unser, Carrol Shelby, Dan Gurney. All fine gentlemen. AJ was not.

magster65

Commander

Randy Bachman (BTO and the Guess Who) lives not far from here and I've met him a few times, same with Burton Cummings of the Guess Who. I've met all the members of Van Halen in their hotel room the day before the concert way back before their second album. Alex, Eddy and Michael were really cool guys but that David Lee Roth is a goof. I met Zora Arkus-Duntov at a Corvette rally, he had a million interesting 'car' stories... quite a fellow. Once I came to the aid of two fellas that were heading out in a fishing derby. They had a minor maintenance issue that I promptly 'mickey moused' for them (no parts available at that time of day so electricians tape did the trick). He shook my hand and thanked me, gave me a 6-pack out of the cooler and introduced himself. "I'm Bobby Allison." I replied, "Nice to meet you, wanna' race?" We all laughed and off they went. They got a few fish that day.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br />Phil Collins on a plane. He was very nice and answered questions, I was sitting right behind him and I think his bodyguard was getting annoyed.
My favorite singer... I'm glad he was a nice guy. Would have ruined it for me if he wasn't.<br /><br />Sean

QC

Supreme Mariner

EE,<br /><br />Yeah, he was cool. I was first a fan in 1977 and know a bunch of old stuff going back to '72 etc. I brought up a very obscure Jazz album that he did. The band was called Brand X, no vocals, just drums for Phil. I figured if I asked about that he would respect that I really knew his stuff. He answered, "I wish you didn't bring that up. Terrible time. Hard work". That's what I get for trying to impress . . . He followed up with a couple of comments about what he was doing with Disney. I think he was on his way to a recording session for Tarzan at the time.

eeboater

Commander

QC,<br /><br />Thats pretty cool. I never knew about that era of his musical carreer. I went to a Phil Collins concert earlier this year. Drug Mrs. eeboater with me to it. It was the best concert I've ever been to. She hates his music - doesn't like the 80's pop. But she even enjoyed it thoroughly.<br /><br />To this day, I am stunned at someone who can play the drums and sing at the same time. He played some of the classics on drums while singing lead vocals. Don Henley can do that too - just amazing. <br /><br />Anyway, I think he had the SAME background vocalists that he has had for years on his albums. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear he was lip syncing. But, I know he's not short in the years so he isn't an Ashlee Simpson in that regard.<br /><br />Sean

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> QC,<br /><br />Thats pretty cool. I never knew about that era of his musical carreer.
EE,<br /><br />Post your email addy and I'll send you the first song Phil sang lead on (1974, all other Genesis before and up to 1977 was Gabriel).<br /><br />Sorry all for the Hijack . . .