epoxy: measuring hardener

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When making epoxy, the hardener is measured in cc's. What does everyone prefer to use for measuring the cc's accurately? When I only need a few drops it is no big deal, but for mixing quart or gallon size batches I need more accuracy. What I have found is around $33 and that is way too much for something like this.

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: epoxy: measuring hardener

I think you'll need to explain a little more about that one. What brand are you using. Are you using something the manufacturer gave or sold you to measure? Why do you need something more accurate to meausre?<br /><br />I used West System and their pumps. Worked great. Measure batched from a couple of squirts to 30 squirts.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Bayman,<br /><br />I have always purchased the measuring containers (or pumps for West Systems) from the place I bought the epoxy. With the exception of 1 time, when I used a kitchen measuring funnel that had multiple types of measurments, including ML's and CC's.<br /><br />I didn't want to upset my wife, so I used the funnel to measure water then poured it into a paper container and marked the line.<br /><br />I have since switched to using 1:1 epoxy, much, much easier to use.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />emp.

BillP

Captain

Clear plastic measuring cups or regular drinking cups. If I use the drinking type I mark the sides to measure by.

Buttanic

Are you sure it is epoxy and not polyester resin. If you need to measure in CC's it sounds like polyester. A hypodermic sringe works good to measure cc's

bayman

Thanks for the good ideas everyone! I like Ed's idea of measuring with water and then marking a disposable cup.<br /><br />Right Buttanic, I put said epoxy, while this is actually a polyester resin I'm working with right now. The hardener comes in a tube. A syringe would work well, though I have no idea where to get them.

robpoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have only made SMALL quantities of epoxy resin. I use SOLO drinking cups to measure. Since I use a 3-1, I decide how MUCH I need in the cup, using water. Then I pour clean water into clean measuring cup. Divide by 4 (4 parts = 3 parts to 1 part). From there .. easy to figure out. :) <br /><br />Then I mark lines on the cup. Up to here of epoxy .. up to here with hardener. Stir. Use. Enjoy.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Bayman<br /><br />You can get calibrated eye droppers and syringes at the drug store.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Bayman,<br /><br />You can also get syringes at your local "farm and fleet" or your local Vet. Sometimes the horse synringes are perfect they have a substantial volume. Just cut the end off to get a good volume moving in and out of the syringe. Some places are picky, make sure they know you don't need the needles :) <br /><br />emp.