Enough RPM?

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1984 johnson 90hp on a 1984 17' 'glass nordic crestliner with a 13 3/4 x 15 3 blade aluminum prop that runs 5,000rpm's at WOT, the prop has some very minor dings. The RPM range on the motor is 4,500 - 5,500, I don't know what the MPH was, didn't have GPS. Motor is new, tuned correctly, runs very well. Should I leave it as is, or find the extra 500rpm? Thoughts and benifits of leaving as is or moving up in the RPM's?
Thanks....

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Enough RPM?

You are right in the middle of your RPM range. Can't get much better than that. If you are happy with the performance, just run it as is.

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply wifisher, I have read alot of post suggesting getting the RPM's up to max. I didn't know if there would be a noticeable difference in 500rpm or not, being in the middle of the rpm range kind of gives a safety net of not over/under reving the motor. Thanks again!

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, I have to comment:

You state the motor is new... being 27 years old, it must be new to you.

When running your RPM test, were you at your typical weight of passengers, gear and fuel?

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I have to comment:

You state the motor is new... being 27 years old, it must be new to you.

When running your RPM test, were you at your typical weight of passengers, gear and fuel?

Yes, loaded to what we will normally run at. I mean new as in rebuilt powerhead, carbs, etc.