Engine Overheat buzzer

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Engine Overheat buzzer

You can always rewire the buzzer compelty if you think it's a wireing problem.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The give-away is when the horn shuts off as soon (within 5 seconds) as you reduce throttle.<br /><br />If the motor was truly hot it wouldnt cool down that quickly.
Well, thats exactly my point!!!, (Im far from illiterate to my outboard). So you are thinking fuel restriction??? clogged jets??? lack of oil??? Air leak in fuel line? (I highly doubt, but will check for splits in the line) What do you think?<br /><br />(BTW- What is S.L.O.W)

ob

Admiral

I think that your alarm module has no way to detect fuel restriction with the harness unplugged.Besides the 86' model didn't have fuel restriction alarm.Now your engine may very well have issues with the fuel system,just can't be getting and alarm on one that isn't hooked up.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would the fuel system sensor be connected to the VRO harness??? becuase currently only the VRO to the harness is disconnected... (I figured out what S.L.O.W. is.. not equipped on my year/model engine...<br /><br />Also i get full WOT rpms.. if i werent getting the fuel, it wouldnt get up there to 5200 right?

ob

Admiral

Your vro year model does not have a fuel restriction alarm.Just the no oil alarm,which is denoted by rapid short tones,with harness connected.The low oil and the overtemp sensor are not part of the vro wiring harness,however the low oil in reservoir leads should also be disconnected when not using the vro and mixing 50:1.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ONE MORE THING BEFORE BED!<br /><br />I have noticed in the past weekend, my primer doesnt get fully hard (that sounds alittle funny). Could that be a cause or symptom? There is no oil tank anymore...<br /><br />(I really appreciate all your help, thankyou!)

ob

Admiral

If your primer bulb will not get completely firm afetr pumping it several times it is indicative of the float needles not seating completely in carb bowls,fuel line leaks ,or defective primer bulb.<br /><br />Your primary symptom as I read it is just the alarm going off isn't it?

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes the buzzer is what first made me jump. however with no steam its confusing to me... Just thinking that one event may be related to the other...

ob

Admiral

The best way to confirm whether the engine is in fact overheating is to obtain a 163 degree melt/stik and marking the cylider heads and block in several locations before water testing.If it don't melt , you aint overheating.<br /><br />Next I would install new overheat temp sensors and go from there.The ones in there are over 15 yrs old if they're the originals.<br /><br />What rpms is the engine capable of at WOT?

ob

Admiral

That's acceptable.I was wanting to rule out overpropping as possible overheat contributor.<br /><br />My bets on bad overheat temp sensor or sensors or problem in the alarm module.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well it certainly is possible the sensor is busted... When the buzzer first went off I was running 30mph@4000 through a 2-3 foot chop... 25 knot winds..<br /><br />Needless-to-say it was snotty, and was getting banged around a bit more than usual. Maybe the roughness took its toll on the 15 year old sensor. Have you seen sensors go bad before???

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Look and see if it does or doesnt have a vacuum switch in the incoming fuel line.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont believe that it does... but i could be wrong, where would it be located, if i did have one?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Follow the incoming fuel line. The vacuum switch will be T'd in before the fuel pump. It will be on a small bracket bolted to the block. It will have two wires, one is a ground and the other goes to the harness.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thats wierd. The replys werent coming up so I gave up yesterday and answered today and they were all there. <br /><br />Strange......voodoo in the water.........

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well i have to go away for the weekend, but will be back sunday and sort out all this good advice on the engine! Thanks, be back with a report sunday!!