engine gurus needed for advice 1980 140i/o

ok, guys i have posted in the restoration section because that is what i am doing. I have bought a 1980 success with a 140 mercruiser i/o. I plan on completely restoring the whole boat, but it has not run in over 10 years. It did run when parked and the engine looks very clean and the oil looks perfect (slightly brown, not new, but not full of water either).

I need to pull the motor to complete the transom and deck work, but i was advised to try and get it started before i pull it, at least do a compression test to see where i am at with it. That made sense to me. So while its still in the boat and hooked up to everything (but the non existant battery) I thought i could at least get it turning over if possibe. so what do i need to be on the look out for around the rest of the boat.
REALLY I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT I/O MOTORS. sorry to sound stupid, but i do know cars and trucks, and this part of the restoration doesnt scare me near as much as the whole fiberglass/epoxy/wood stuff does. but once i pull it i wont have the luxury of a starter to get it running.....

so what i see is
1. pull plugs lube with something like marvel myst. oil in the cylinders...
2. prime oil system with the dist. pulled (using a hand drill)
3. rock crank back and forth lil at a time to see if i can turn it over by hand.
4. if all above seems to be working, use starter to check compression.
5. hopefully if all is going good. rebuild carb, protable gas can and see if it will run.
6. pull engine and finish restoration.
7. once the engine is out, i plan on going through it too. but would like to know if anything is majorly wrong with it before i start.

sound right?
what am i missing? what else do i need to check while it in the boat and hooked up to the battery and gauges?

sorry for the length of the post.

thanks
catfish

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: engine gurus needed for advice 1980 140i/o

Sounds like you have a good plan for it.If she spins over put the plugs back in and give it a try.Might not be a bad idea to clean or replace the points before the test start and verify spark.
Good luck! i hope she runs like a top!:D

Bondo

Staff member

but once i pull it i wont have the luxury of a starter to get it running.....

Ayuh,..... Actually,... I've started Many a motor sitting on the shop floor,....
Chevy starters attach to the Block,..

Your Plan sounds Excellent,..... Make sure you pull the Drive, before you pull the Motor,....

Coors

Captain

Install ignition, and fire it up, while out, and on stand. Saves aggravation later?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If I was you, I would pull the engine. Finish the restoration on the boat, and clean and paint the bilge area while the engine is out.
Not sure where you are located. But after sitting for that many years, you could have condensation in the oil. No damage to the engine, but water in the oil.
I had a Glasply that sat for 7 years in a humid (WET) area. Pan full of moisture and sludge. Cleaned it all up before even thinking about starting the engine. Yea, I pulled the pan and looked at bearings before putting it back together. Then I ran it on the floor like I do every new or rebuilt engine to make sure everything works. Set timing, check oil pressure with mechanical gauge, check everything. Then when you put the motor back in the boat, you know it works and is in perfect shape.

so glad i had so many replies,

1 more question, i did pull the plugs today. I didnt have much time so that was all i did. i was looking at the crank pulley, and ITS COVERED BY THE FRONT MOTOR MOUNT?!?! so tell me how can i bump it over by hand? doesnt look like i can (or should) pull the front mount without a hoist supporting the motor. is that right? it will take some extreme engineering to get the motor out (i am not set up for a pull of that height). I dont want to use the starter yet. so how do i do this?

come on pros, i need your help.
I could go ahead and pull it if that makes more sense. and start it on the floor after checking and changing seals and oils.....

let the opinions fly.

thanks
catfish