Engine dies under a load

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
close to 37,000 feedbacks should not be ignored
All cylinders have 72 psi
very odd....did you or not try another compression meter or pull the head to look inside. gaskets are cheap and you have no other options.

btw ... "Hello have a 1984 Johnson 150 V6" is this a new to you engine ??
with untested compression or successful trial run ?

Paradise pontoon

Seaman Apprentice
close to 37,000 feedbacks should not be ignored

very odd....did you or not try another compression meter or pull the head to look inside. gaskets are cheap and you have no other options.

btw ... "Hello have a 1984 Johnson 150 V6" is this a new to you engine ??
with untested compression or successful trial run ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On my compression tester a good one of those shows 120 PSI all day long.----You have a bad gauge , bad test procedure or your motor is JUNK !!!----In what manual did you read that 72 PSI is factory spec.----Just plain nonsense to me.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
To the OP, if you reject the advice from experienced members here that know these outboards extremely well, they will not endlessly entertain your questions about things of no value asked in this topic if you don't follow their advice fully as they walk you through diagnosing.

Like ignoring advice of removal of heads for photos on forum to inspect cylinders and asking for help afterwards of why it doesn't work conveys an uncooperative mindset unless you can really back up your reason with hard to dispute proof that rules out that step(s) suggested are not needed.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A word about D I Y mechanics. ME
I rebuilt a simple Evinrude carburetor 3 times !! In 1 hour. Because I FORGOT to install 1 gasket under the large main jet in the center of the carburetor bowel.
I only found the problem because I rebuild anything on a large clean white Beach Towel !!! I found 2 identical gaskets. 1 was used. DDUUUGGHH

I am old and wise enough to realize I am not.........

Paradise pontoon

Seaman Apprentice
Update on engine. Running great runs 68 mph . FYI none of the info on here was the problem. New primer bulb and hose assembly was bad. The plastic inside the hose was restricted hose
Thanks for the advice
Glad I didn’t call motor junk!

Paradise pontoon

Seaman Apprentice
Oh and the book specs reason I found it saying in spec because this sn# has low compression throttle bodies on it. You can install on some other sn# has well. Just FYI

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update on engine. Running great runs 68 mph . FYI none of the info on here was the problem. New primer bulb and hose assembly was bad. The plastic inside the hose was restricted hose
Thanks for the advice
Glad I didn’t call motor junk!
Hmmm. That was replaced in post #1.
I guess new doesn't always mean good