Engine Coupler questions.

Downforce6

Seaman
Hello all.

First-

1992 Bayliner Capri 17'
3.0 GM
Alpha one I/O (I believe a Gen II, but would't bet my life on it)

Bought this boat last June and cannot be sure of the last time maintenance was performed by previous owner. I have everything done to 100 hours maintenance schedule except... Greasing of the engine coupler, check engine alignment.

Anyone have exp with this boat? The book says I will need to pull the drive in order to grease the engine coupler? That correct? Good grief seems like they would put a fitting somewhere to avoid having to do this everytime you want to grease the coupler.

If there is no fitting, how big of a job is this? I'm sure all the gaskets will need replaced and haven't even looked yet what engine alignment entails. I intend to splash next weekend, I wish I would have gotten this engine coupler greased. I suppose my question is if anyone knows if there is a grease fitting or if I indeed have to pull the drive.

I do know this "gear case", bearings and all were replaced in 04-05, due to drive impact damage, and I really don't think the boat has a ton of hours on it since, I only logged about 50 last season. I'd love for you to tell me "It will be fine until the end of this season", lol.

I don't want to tear it up, I have the receipts for the "gear case repair" and "impact on outdrive" and it costed more to fix than I gave for the boat total. (and the repair was done nine years ago)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine Coupler questions.

Anyone have exp with this boat? The book says I will need to pull the drive in order to grease the engine coupler? That correct? Good grief seems like they would put a fitting somewhere to avoid having to do this everytime you want to grease the coupler.

Nope, part of your yearly maintance pulling the drive.

"If there is no fitting, how big of a job is this? I'm sure all the gaskets will need replaced and haven't even looked yet what engine alignment entails. I intend to splash next weekend, I wish I would have gotten this engine coupler greased. I suppose my question is if anyone knows if there is a grease fitting or if I indeed have to pull the drive."

shift inti fwd,6 nuts, remove rams, pull striaight back.

"
I only logged about 50 last season. I'd love for you to tell me "It will be fine until the end of this season", lol.

I don't want to tear it up, I have the receipts for the "gear case repair" and "impact on outdrive" and it costed more to fix than I gave for the boat total. (and the repair was done nine years ago)

Unless you check and/or monitor the oil level ,all bets are off

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's a link to some videos Chris did that may help you realize pulling the drive is not that hard to do if you have some mechanical skills and can follow steps:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/couple-new-videos-590378.html

If indeed you have a gen2, here's a link to the manual:
Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 14 - 1991-Current - Sterndrives Alpha One Gen II</

Spend some time up in the sticky section for all kinds of good information Don has compiled.

Mark

Downforce6

Seaman

Here's a link to some videos Chris did that may help you realize pulling the drive is not that hard to do if you have some mechanical skills and can follow steps:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/couple-new-videos-590378.html

If indeed you have a gen2, here's a link to the manual:
Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 14 - 1991-Current - Sterndrives Alpha One Gen II</

Spend some time up in the sticky section for all kinds of good information Don has compiled.

Mark

Thanks, pulling it out looks easy enough, lol. Getting it back in a little rougher but doesn't look all that bad, just a matter of getting everything lined up correctly I suppose.

Informative videos, thanks! Watching this guy it looks like about a 30 min job, so it should only take me about 6 hours. :lol:

if I had the parts I'd do it today, but I don't. (gasket, spline grease)

Gonna splash next weekend without completing this job, but will go to the parts store this week and get the needed parts, then when we get a rainy weekend, I'll go ahead and get this done. Started her up on muffs yesterday and everything looks to be in working order. Like I said I have completed all other jobs in the 100 hour maintenance schedule, I am fairly mechanically inclined, just don't know alot about boats yet. I suppose I could have paid someone to do these things for me, but my take is that if I do it, I will be much more familiar with the boat and more able to trouble-shoot on the water if needed.

Thanks, again!

Downforce6

Seaman

So I completed this job yesterday, wasn't too bad.

Problem is when I went into the garage this morning I noticed a pool of drive oil underneath the sterndrive.

Didn't leak before the job. I assume one of the seals has failed? (I replaced them all)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

So I completed this job yesterday, wasn't too bad.

Problem is when I went into the garage this morning I noticed a pool of drive oil underneath the sterndrive.

Didn't leak before the job. I assume one of the seals has failed? (I replaced them all)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

If you have a drive oil monitor bottle inside the engine bay, the oil on the floor is most likely the coupling dripping as you remove and then re-install the drive... Check on the starboard side of the drive where it and the bell housing meet... I'll bet there is an oil run there...

Nothing to worry about in that case...

Chris.....

Downforce6

Seaman

I'll check. But not a monitor bottle that I know of.

Also, just to note. I took the drive off Tuesday nite. Did the grease and re-installation Wednesday nite.

Downforce6

Seaman

thinking.......

It has a oil level dipstick on top.... I wonder if I could have just jarred the drain plug loose.

Going to have to get a closer look when I get home.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

no oil reservoir on that boat from factory, but there is a check valve on the drive for ones that do, that might have something jammed in it.

MikDee

Banned

Greasing a coupler, is like greasing the spline on a Propshaft! Once done, it seems to last forever, but if you let it go too long in an underwater environment, it can eventually wear off,,, then it makes it tough to get the prop off. The coupler is in the boat, and doesn't have that same environment, so not as critical. Engine, & drive alignment is more important.

Downforce6

Seaman

Greasing a coupler, is like greasing the spline on a Propshaft! Once done, it seems to last forever, but if you let it go too long in an underwater environment, it can eventually wear off,,, then it makes it tough to get the prop off. The coupler is in the boat, and doesn't have that same environment, so not as critical. Engine, & drive alignment is more important.

Yeah, I felt better after I pulled the drive and saw it had plenty of grease, but I hadn't done it since I bought the boat used so I needed to look and see.

It also came out pretty easy so I am thinking engine alignment is good, but I don't have the tool to do it the right way.

There were not any problems to begin with I am just trying to do my maintainence and check the drive system over.

The bellows also looked to be in good shape, but I think I will keep a close eye on there now that I have had a good look at this drive I can see it is a good idea to keep those bellows in good shape. ;)

Like I said the thing wasn't leaking drive oil before I pulled it, but it is now. I am wondering if It could be leaking because of a gasket I replaced? I don't see how that could be the case but I figure I ask.

I didn't even drain the oil to begin with, (maybe I should have) I replaced it last year and put few hours on it.

My unit has the dip stick/vent on top, and a drain plug on bottom. The only thing I can think of at the moment is a jarred that drain plug loose somehow. I'm at work, I just noticed the oil pool in the garage when I left this morning. When I get home I can get a better look to see where the oil might be coming from.

I suppose the good is that the oil looked very bluish/Green just like new.. No water.:mad-new:

Downforce6

Seaman

The oil is leaking from a small hole in the lower unit, port side. (there is a hole on both sides)

I can't find in my book what the holes are for just yet. The hole is just beneath the nut closest to the boat that connect the lower unit to the upper unit.

Downforce6

Seaman

I'm thinking oil seal in shift shaft. the one that wouldn't stay in place while I was tryilng to re-install the drive. the one that I think was glued in place before?

any thoughts?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

#9 is the water passage 'O' ring. To find an oil leak, pull the drive, drain the oil and pressure test the drive....

Chris.......

airshot

Rear Admiral

As long as you are going to keep the boat and do your own maintenance, the alignment tool is fairly cheap and a necessary tool when doing your annual service. Remember one thing...maintaining things on a regular basis is much less expensive than waiting until something breaks or wears out. After participating on this forum for a few years I have come to realize that many of the problems posted on here are from lack of maintenance or a new owner getting a boat with lack of maintenance. Do not cut corners on a boat it will cost you a lot more in the long run.

Downforce6

Seaman

I agree, I agree.

Cut me some slack, I'm learning here and I got myself here by trying to do my 100 hour maintain work. Of course when you buy a boat the problem is you don't have all the tools right away. I agree I need the alignment tool and the pressure check device but I don't have them yet. I am going to get them.

In the mean time.

I believe I have found my problem.. What are your thoughts on this?

wI2tZAojTaioR2U5N8MHlOG3Jl8h71XzxKHaNJl4e2Q=w920-h518-no

This picture is blurry, but in addition to the oil running out the lake water hole, oil is running out of this shaft and down onto the speedometer cable.

IMG_20140508_192025749.jpg

I'm assuming I have possibly bent torn up the sift shaft bushing/seal here?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

that shift shaft seal is pretty easy to change and good to change frequently anyhow. Especially when you have no drive reservoir. Mine leaked on a long trip and cost me a drive.
Now I have a drive reservoir kit added.

Downforce6

Seaman

What did I do wrong here? I thought I had this sucker shifted into forward?