Engine cooling water in tube bigger than gimbal housng tube

sms986

Petty Officer 1st Class
1989 mercruiser alpha one gen 1 5.0. hooking the engine up and the water inlet tube (from transom to power steering heat exchanger) is a lot bigger than the white tube that comes through the gimbal housing. Am I missing a part?

Attachments

• IMG_20221004_173738409.jpg
    IMG_20221004_173738409.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25

sms986

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trying to figure out why it's bigger. When I rebuilt the motor I left the power steering heat exchanger all hooked up. So I know it's the hose that came off at that location. I have no idea if it was rigged up by PO with a smaller tube i side and a hose clamp or if I am missing a part.

alldodge

Staff member
Its not a mistake, all use a 1.25 ID tube. This works for 3.0 with Alpha drive or 525 HP with Bravo XR drive. Same part for all

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Am I missing a part?
There's a bushing that goes on the through transom barb so the larger hose doesn't squeeze down to fit on the barb itself

Newer alpha packages have a specific hose that has a smaller ID at the barb fitting

sms986

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's what I needed to know. Does anyone know the part # for that bushing?

tpenfield

Staff member
That little white tube is not right. Do some parts look-up on both the outdrive gimbal assembly and the engine itself. You are missing a few parts, not just one.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
That little white tube is not right.
The tube is oem/factory

Some alphas had a bushing that makes up for the difference in ID between the hose and barb. OP needs to look for it in the bilge or elsewhere. Can't imagine it'd be obviously missed when the hose was removed

sms986

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well the hose was removed 3 years ago lol. I did a full gut and restore on the boat. Rebuilt the entire engine and gimbal assembly. I'll look around on schematics again too see if I missed something.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Well the hose was removed 3 years ago lol. I did a full gut and restore on the boat. Rebuilt the entire engine and gimbal assembly. I'll look around on schematics again too see if I missed something.
I looked but couldn't find it on parts drawings - what is your engine and drive number not sure if it will be on the gimbal housing drawing or engine...

you may be able to stuff a short piece of 3/4" or 1" heater hose in the bigger hose to act as a bushing for the time being... would think if you clamp it good that would do the trick

sms986

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's it. I'll get one ordered tonight thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Have to disagree, that bushing is what seals the water tube not the one that goes inside the hose over the tube. The hose one uses is straight no taper and that item is the trim cyl bushing

alldodge

Staff member
Have to disagree, that bushing is what seals the water tube not the one that goes inside the hose over the tube. The hose one uses is straight no taper and that item is the trim cyl bushing
Might be right, then what is the correct part?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
still crawling thru all my links to find it .Its straight walled that slips inside the cooling hose

Bondo

Staff member
still crawling thru all my links to find it .Its straight walled that slips inside the cooling hose
Ayuh,...... I ain't had one in my hand lately, but isn't it just 'bout an inch or so of 3/4" heater hose,..??

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Ayuh,...... I ain't had one in my hand lately, but isn't it just 'bout an inch or so of 3/4" heater hose,..??
It's a bushing, looks much like one for the trim ram ends but isn't tapered.

Really no need for the oem part, one could be fashioned easily with the right material. Just need to ensure the fit is sound so it stays in place