Engine code/casting numbers for Vortec vs non?

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
My boat originally had a 1994 2 barrel non-vortec engine installed. A few years ago the previous owner sucked some seaweed around the water intake and overheated/ruined the engine. They had a Jasper rebuild installed, which I believe they bought as a short block and installed the original manifolds, intake, carb, etc. I'm considering a 4 barrel conversion, but I would like to know if there is a way to tell by a casting number or something on the block/heads that would indicate what was installed.I'm hoping the rebuild was a newer setup which would have had the vortec heads installed so I could make the most of a 4 Barrel swap.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the heads are what make it a vortec or non-vortec

if you have 12 intake bolts, you have a non-vortec headed motor
if you have 8 intake bolts (2 in each corner) you have a vortec headed motor

if you have a non-vortec and want vortec heads, simply swap the heads

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
My boat originally had a 1994 2 barrel non-vortec engine installed. A few years ago the previous owner sucked some seaweed around the water intake and overheated/ruined the engine. They had a Jasper rebuild installed, which I believe they bought as a short block and installed the original manifolds, intake, carb, etc. I'm considering a 4 barrel conversion, but I would like to know if there is a way to tell by a casting number or something on the block/heads that would indicate what was installed.I'm hoping the rebuild was a newer setup which would have had the vortec heads installed so I could make the most of a 4 Barrel swap.

If motor is salt water cooled, buy a new motor or find a junk yard 350 and build one from scratch. Too much cancer that you can't see. If you have thunderbolt ignition sytem with knock sensor, I'd build a stroker with high-rise and Eldelbrock 4 barrel. You can easily get 100+ more hp out of them.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
the heads are what make it a vortec or non-vortec

if you have 12 intake bolts, you have a non-vortec headed motor
if you have 8 intake bolts (2 in each corner) you have a vortec headed motor

if you have a non-vortec and want vortec heads, simply swap the heads

Thanks Scott. This is exactly what I needed. Not worth doing if I have to swap the heads, if worth doing at all for the cost vs gains. May just rebuild the 2 barrel and call it good.

Boat has always been freshwater kept, except for the last year since I have moved to VA and used it a few times a year in the bay.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I did a vortec head swap (with porting, port matching, etc), cam swap, roller rockers, and a carb spacer on my 1988 V8 and it woke it up significantly. if you search around, your into a set of vortec heads, a 4-barrel intake and carb for about $1000