Engine Alignment and Engine mount question

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
here's my question, lets say you have engine and motor mount replacement and gimbal bearing replacement.... where do you start first with adjustments? if you adjust the bearing in a specific direction to "help" get your alignment tool to slide forward into the engine coupler.. whats to say when you rotate the engine or adjust the front mounts that now the bearing doesnt need to be adjusted again.

I wish there was a way on the bearing itself to indicate that the inner race was perfectly aligned with the outer race so remove any doubt on whats in spec and what isnt. Having 2 points of adjustments (engine mounts + gimbal bearing) just adds more headaches and doubts....

then you have to deal with getting alignment then rotating the engine 3-4 different points to make sure the alignment tool goes in smoothly a several different points to feel more comfortable with perfect alignment right?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
They are not aligned to each other (but they are. Confusing I know, but bear with me).

The rear engine mounts are fixed, and the side mounts (front for inline engines) pivot the engine on the rear mounts. The bearing can only gimbal on the one spot, it can't go up, down or sideways. So you get the crankshaft/coupler pointed at the middle of the bearing, then you must get the middle of the bearing pointed in the line of the crankshaft. If you have replaced both bearing and mounts, you perform an alignment just the same as any other time. Eyeball the alignment through the bearing to get the coupler splines 'close enough', then use the bar to get the bearing 'centred', then use the witness marks on the bar to get the final adjustments on the engine.

Chris......

Scott06

Vice Admiral
This explains how a gimbal works and centering the gimbal to the coupler

chris has a link to his videos in his signature id recommend them highly