Electrics Not working!

smoothbadger

Cadet
Hi Evryone.......I feel i coul dbe a regular here with the amount of work i need to do on the boat!

Thanks in advance for any help and advice............

I have many electrical issues:

The blower,nav lights depth finder do not work. plus some of the gauges do not work, such as water temp, trim and oil pressure.

Any ideas where to start?

Where physically is the blower, and how crucial is its function?

I have lifted the ski locker door and looked back towards the aft end and there is some kind of inspection hole with a screwed lid, is it in there?

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Electrics Not working!

It could be just a fuse from the 12v source that is blown. The overall condition of the electrical system determines how extensively you will dig into the wiring. If the boat is older and the wiring is ratty looking, you are there and will have to determine that, a clean rewire will be your best bet. That will guarantee the wire is intact in the insulation, the terminals are solidly joined and the connections are clean and tight. If you need a wiring diagram
Google "stingray powerboats - general faq" click on that and scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "DC wiring". It is not for your boat, of course, but they are like women, they all function pretty much the same way.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Any ideas where to start?

Yup, Start at the battery and work your way to the dash/device that isn't working. take apart every terminal/junction and clean/replace it until you have clean voltage all the way through.

Where physically is the blower, and how crucial is its function?

This is a good time to discuss boater saftey courses, you need to find one locally and attend it. The function of the blower is to evacuate gas vapors from the bilge so that your boat doesn't explode when you try to start it. It will not be hidden, it will be in the engine compartment, and should have a hose that reaches the bottom of the bilge attached to the intake side, with another hose running to an exhaust vent.

180Diablo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In a reply to the blower,

Mine, the intake is on the starboard side and its only a short tube that goes just past the battery (so right behind the SB rear seating), then on the port side the blower unit is there and there is a longer tube that would go down into the bilge area.

My nav lights on the bow aren't currently working as well. Fuses "look" to be in ok shape, might need to be cleaned up however. Bulb looks good, has continuity, socket has continuity as well, bulb contact in socket looks to be snug and tight. The switch that controls it does the Nav (up) and Anchor (down), anchor light functions. So it still could be a switch thing... dont know yet.

I have ordered 3 new switches anyways (nav/anch,bilge,ctsy/acc) all 3 have broken housings. At least my blower and horn work :) lol

smoothbadger

Cadet

thanks for all the help i will get that blower working promptly and report back....as witht the rest of the electrics any other help would be much appreciated but thanks so far.......

could you prehaps take a pic of where i could find the blower if i dont have any luck?

mny thanks again

smoothbadger

Cadet

I found the pump it was located on the port side half way up the rear bulkhead.......it is in line a very large corragetd hose. one end sits in the engine bilge area goes up fits onto the pump the out of the pump into a vent/plastic grill near the swim platform.

There is also annother pipe that is connected to the grill which is split, but looks like its long enough to go over to the other side of the engine compart ment on the staboard side,,,,,however this doesnt isnt conncted via a pump so how does that work then? two pipes going iether side of the engine, going to the same vent but only one of them has a blower attached?

Also on the starboard side there is an identical vent with a much smaller clear hose conected to it approxiamtly the same dianmeter of a hose pipe with nothing attached to it just poked to the bottom rear part of the engine.....any ideas what this should be connected to?

thanks

180shabah

Rear Admiral

As long as you have one couregated hose from the bottom of the bilge up to blower and from there to a discharge vent then you are good. When the blower is running it creates negative pressure in the engine compartment and draws air in from any available hole. The hoses attatched to the other vent are just used to direct the incoming air.

As for the clear tube - No clues here. A picture would help.

smoothbadger

Cadet

Okay I Will Get As Picture.....how Do You Go About Putting A [picture On Here?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Hist the picture on another site like, webshots, photobucket, flickr, etc....
they will provide you a link to use in forums.