electric shift problems

out2c

Cadet
I have a 1965 johnson super sea horse (75 horse) out board motor. Had it on the lake today for the first time since i bought it. Any way, idle great..but when i added throttle it would jerk hard about every 30 seconds or so...but go back to idle speed it wouldn't do it all or very seldom....so any help on this problem would be most helpful!!!! thanks -OUT2C-

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: electric shift problems

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that there is no water intrusion in the gearcase and to make sure you're using "Type C" gear lubricant for electric shift lower ends. I have not had good luck with those lower units.....it does not sound like an electrical problem, since it does not happen at low speed, so the forward clutch spring is probably shot.

out2c

Cadet

Owners manual says type c or a gl-5 type which what i bought was a 80-90 weight lower unit oil recommended for lower units...how would i know of water in gearcase and how big of a deal is a foward clutch spring...is it fixable....thanks again OUT2C

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

electric units have to have premium blend Type C lower oil for electric lower units. 80-90 will not work, it is too thick.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Owners manual says type c or a gl-5 type which what i bought was a 80-90 weight lower unit oil recommended for lower units...how would i know of water in gearcase and how big of a deal is a foward clutch spring...is it fixable....thanks again OUT2C

Gotta have the thinner Type C oil in there.
If it is slipping, it's not too hard to replace the spring and hub assembly. Note that the forward and reverse assemblies are NOT interchangeable.
The problem is finding them at a reasonable price.....the spring is about 350 bucks at evinrude :eek: