Electric motor & battery questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabCH

Cadet
Hi everyone!

I have been researching electric motos and batteries. So far I am looking at getting a 55lbs motor and a 55ah battery, I read this combination is good. What do you think?

For the battery I was wondering how you guys keep it from getting wet? I am afraid it could electrocute is if water gets in the boat (and it does when we go in the water and climb back in).

Thanks!
Gab

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know you posted this in the Inflatable section cuz it's about a TM for your inflatable, but this is a better section.

You won't get fried if the battery gets wet, but if you boat in saltwater the battery life may be shortened. A battery box would help keep water off the posts.

You can't seal the battery container because it has to breathe since it off-gasses hydrogen during use.

GabCH

Cadet
Hi GA_Boater , thanks for the forum change.

Ok, noted, but out of curiosity why can I not get fried if water comes into contact with both the anode and the cathode (e.g. a splash that puts water on top of the battery)? I have never seen a battery setup on boats so please excuse me if my question sounds dumb.

Thanks, I didn't know about the hydrogen venting.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The current flow if the top of the battery gets wet is between the battery posts, not through your body.

Fresh water isn't a big a problem as salt water wetting the battery top, but both can cause a battery drain. That's where the battery box comes into play - Protects the battery from water and something shorting the posts, plus in a rare instance of acid venting, contains the spill.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
And you will not get electrocuted from a 12 volt battery. Touch both termnals with a ring or metal watch band you you will receive a very nasty burn (wet terminals or not) but you will not be electrocuted. You are worrying about nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.