Electric head, but no breaker

terrencemc

Recruit
Hey all, I have a 1996 Wellcraft Excel 23SE that has an electric vacuflush head. I haven't used it at all except for the one time the PO showed me how it worked when he was selling me the boat. He's long gone, and the manuals that I have don't match what's on the boat, so I'm having a hard time figuring out how this thing works. There's a switch in the head, just a toggle switch with no labels, no lights, and no gauge. It doesn't do anything when I flip it (no noise). I don't have a breaker or a fuse for the head, and I don't have a switch anywhere labeled "head" or "toilet". I DO have a "Macerator" switch and fuse at the helm, and I can hear it run when I flip it. But I'm on a river, in fresh water so I'm not supposed to use that. I also have two accessory switches and fuses at the helm. They are each hooked up to something, but I haven't been able to trace them successfully. I have tried turning them on and flipping the switch in the head as a test, but nothing changed. If I can find the pump, I can probably figure out what turns it on and where the breaker or fuse is, but I can't find the pump. Would the pump be under the toilet? Behind it? I know where the holding tank is, should there be a float switch in the holding tank to stop the pump if it's full? I can't figure out where that would be. I also don't have a sensor on the tank that will tell me if it's full. It's only 3 gallons, should I bother adding one?

I've used the water system, the sinks work, and I can fill the toilet by lifting the pedal. If I flush it, it drains but doesn't really pop a flush like I think it should. Also, If I leave water in the bowl, it disappears, so I guess the seal is bad. I haven't found any tags to tell me what model it is, is there any way to tell before I start taking things apart?

Thanks for any help.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Is there a small black pull out knob or switch, somewhere on the vanity unit or wall around there ? Might be a dometic labelled switch

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd suggest you have someone more familiar with boats and their systems have a look at your boat. It sounds like you don't know a whole lot about them. No offence inteded here.

terrencemc

Recruit
There is a switch in the head. A small toggle that does nothing. It's on the vanity.
Hi. Is there a small black pull out knob or switch, somewhere on the vanity unit or wall around there ? Might be a dometic labelled switch
There's a toggle in the head on the vanity, I had assumed that was the switch for the toilet, but it doesn't do anything and I can't get to the back of it without pulling out the holding tank and most of the walls in the mid cabin. The vanity is all one piece. I have the manual for the boat, but it doesn't match what's in the boat. No surprise there, it's over 30 years old. At any rate, I can see the macerator pump and I know where the fuse is for that, but like I said, there's no breaker or switch outside of the toggle on the vanity for the vacuflush. There's no tank monitor either. So I'll just pull it apart and put it back together with new seals, switch, and tank monitor and this time label everything.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
There should be a breaker in the main panel. It's either labeled vacu-flush or head. Are all the breakers on in the panel?

terrencemc

Recruit
Hi, sorry I'm just seeing this. I really don't have a breaker for the vacuflush or head. Not on the DC or AC panel. I have a blank for Macerator and I have a switch at the helm and fuse labeled macerator, but other than the blank toggle in the head I don't have anything that could be a switch for the vacuflush. I don't even have a fuse with a head or vacuflush label. I haven't been able to mess around too much since I last posted, but I'm pulling the boat out of the water this week, so I can go digging for the vacuum pump and pull on some wires.