Electric Brake Question

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
So I just installed electric trailer brakes on both axles of our trailer. I took off the surge system and used Dexter never-adjust brake parts. Replaced the drums at the same time.

The wheels spin well, but there is a rubbing sound on all 4 wheels. The fact that they spin well puts me at ease, but the rubbing sound is bothering me. We took a trip today and the rub is still there and the brakes were hot when we got home.

I have a Prodigy P3 controller and it was set on boost 2. When I spun the wheels the trailer was disconnected from the truck so they were receiving no power.

Since I have no experience with electric brakes I thought I would check in here. Thought that maybe the rubbing sounds is from the magnets riding on the hub.

Thoughts?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Electric Brake Question

Yep... the magnets will often make just a little noise as they lightly rub the inside of the drum..... nothing to worry about

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Curious, have you tried operating your brakes manually while driving down the road with a setting of 2? That is a very low setting.

EDIT: Now after typing that I realize you said the "boost" was 2. What level do you have it set to?

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Curious, have you tried operating your brakes manually while driving down the road with a setting of 2? That is a very low setting.

EDIT: Now after typing that I realize you said the "boost" was 2. What level do you have it set to?

You hit on something though. Tomorrow, on the way to the lake I will take the time to properly set the trailer brake controller. I did not do that which means it was set at max I believe. It never locked up the tires, but I did not follow the procedure. I will do that tomorrow and see how it changes their heat generation and their performance.