Electric AC pump gushing water into engine compartment??

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Cruisair AC system on my boat. When I first put the boat in the water, while it was still in the sling, I checked the engine compartment and noticed the AC water pump was GUSHING water into the engine compartment from the spot shown on the attached photo. This boat is new to me, so I'm unsure of the AC condition to begin with. I shut the petcock off and that solved my problem for the short term.

I'd like to try and get the AC working now.... Any ideas why it would be gushing water in at the location in the pic? Should there be a plug in there? Did they remove a plug to winterize it? Is the pump just shot?

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks everyone!
Phil

Attachments

• photo246456.jpg
    photo246456.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I suspect that your AC pump has a breach. I would pull the pump and inspect, it most likely will need to be replaced.

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

More photos......... I opened the petcock this morning and snapped better pics......... even caught a live gusher pic :)

Attachments

• photo246463.jpg
    photo246463.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246464.jpg
    photo246464.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246465.jpg
    photo246465.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So from what I've been told so far...... the plug that is missing is the freeze plug which means this most likely wasn't winterized correctly. Now I'm curious if the rest of the system is going to have issues. I'm going to try and screw a bolt in the hole to prevent it from leaking.......

1- I want to see if the pump works
2- I want to see if there are any other leaks in the system
3- I want to see if the AC actually works

If everything above looks positive, I'll buy the $70 wet end rebuild kit for the pump and call it a day..

I'll post more info tomorrow when I play with it some more.
Phil