Educate me about guns

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Educate me about guns

rule #11 don't be around ANYBODY who doesn't respect and completely follow these rules...

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br /> rule #11 don't be around ANYBODY who doesn't respect and completely follow these rules...
Oh yeah! We had a guy that wanted to go bird hunting with my hunting party. We had a great hunt, but this guy was not Mr. Gun Safety. When he unloaded his shotgun, it was pointed at me as he racked and unracked the gun to empty it. I was in shock. I went up one side of him and down the other. He has not ever hunted with us again.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard about guys like that, gaugeguy.... Down here in Virginia, we have the public WMA's (wildlife management areas), and they can be absolutely SCARY on an opening Saturday! :eek: <br /><br />Guys just go out there and leave their common sense at home. I have a good friend of mine who will no longer go hunting and hocked all his stuff on eBay (kept his Marlin 30-30 though). A few years ago, he was in the woods with another friend and vividly remembers hearing the report from a rifle, and then a micro-second later, he heard a loud "Bzzzzzzzzz" go by his head! Some $#*@&#& idiot almost shot him! :eek: :mad: <br /><br />I have a Remington 870 12GA, and an old Marlin .22LR and always keep them unloaded and locked away. I also have a Taurus .38sp snubnose revolver that I can carry (I have a Virginia CWP) if I want, but, 99.999999% of the time, I don't.<br /><br />Gun safety is of utmost importance, and no matter what... If you are looking at a nice Ruger 9mm, consider it loaded. NEVER, EVER, point it at anything you don't plan on shooting! My gun training and qualifications came from Coast Guard bootcamp with the M-16 and the old M1911-A1 .45ACP (qualified on both). I would LOVE to pick up an old .45 1911 springfield someday....<br /><br />Butch A.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

50% why I don't hunt much these days.<br />not something MY take tightly....

SoulWinner

Commander

ButchA, Did you at least return fire?? After all, isn't that the polite thing to do :D

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Me? No, it happend to the friend of mine... He told me he immediately ran from the woods (probably had to change his drawers too), and headed for home. The next couple of days, he was weeding out all his hunting gear and putting it up on Ebay.<br /><br />I had an old Ford Ranger a few years ago, and have found #8 dove shot in the bed and pelted at the quarter panel, from careless hunters on a WMA during dove season! :eek: :mad: You should see the WMA's down here during opening day hunting season! The places look like parking lot of a convention center!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />Butch A.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I refuse to hunt on public land. My brother went to retrieve a duck we shot, and when he was 20 feet away, another hunter shot it when it was flopping around a bit.<br /><br />I have been shot at twice.<br /><br />I was working at a gun range, went to put up fresh targets, and some idiot didnt notice the "cease fire" announcement, nor everyone else standing back. Heard the bullet whizz by, then the boom.<br /><br />Ken

gaugeguy

Captain

Is there really that much hunting pressure on public land where you guys hunt? If I see 6 hunters all season in the woods where I hunt(3 months counting archery) I'm looking for a place deeper in the forest to set up.<br /><br />I guess I am fortunate that there is abundant public and private land that can be hunted around here.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Not only will my glock fire without a magazine there also is no safety on it. Dont much care though With my browning I would leave a round chambered but release the hammer. The glock has a firing pin with a double trigger that is suppose to act as a safety. In spite of this safety I dont chamber the round until I am ready to fire. <br /><br />On the hunting angle I noticed that liquor stores sell more booze the night before hunting opener then they do any other day of the year. Something is a little unsettling about some guy out there with a six pack and a winchester.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

As far as the booze is concerned, I don't like it when combined with firearms...but have spent many a day in deer camp. A lot of these guys must not be allowed out much. They are there for the party and never get near the woods...the biggest danger they pose is to themselves from falling in the fire. Most of them are in absolutely no danger of winning the pot for the biggest deer. That's my job:)

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer

The IOP'S where I work clearly state<br />" There is no such thing as a accidental discharge of a weapon "

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I was trained on the following:M1,M14,M16,Uzi, Galil,FN,Browning 0.3 and 0.5,Mach,SKS,AK 47,and German Mauser.They all will fire without a clip or chain but with a bullet in the chamber.It will allow you to use that extra bullet.The only exception here is that with the M16 you have to bang a lever on the side of the chamber before you can fire the last one.