Edelbrock 1409 lean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, I bought the parts from Summit individually. That's why I list the part numbers. I knew what I wanted and there is no kit with those parts in it. I bought a couple parts ended up not using which are still in a drawer. And Summit refunded the money I spent on the 1485 kit. So not an expensive trip.

Last week this was frustrating, I'm now beginning to enjoy the challenge. I don't want to let this thread die without making my final settings public. There has to be some other sorry sap running a 21 year old engine that could use this info.

I called edelbrock and they are sending me some .92's for both primary and secondary. They also want me to keep the pink springs and the 68/57 rods from the 1485 kit. Rick, this is pretty close to your setup. Although... I might just jump up to the 95s on the primaries, especially considering your using 65 on your metering rod instead of the 68. Which if I'm thinking about that correctly would make you even more rich while cruising, right? I'll let you know how this goes.

Couple other thoughts... Edelbrock told me that i might need to run for as much as an hour on the plugs to be able to tell how they are burning ( rich vs. lean). That's scared me a bit.... I thought running lean could do damage in a hurry. Thoughts?

One last thing. My idle air screws are running and highest rpm only one turn out. I'm wondering if that's because I'm running a 600 cfm carb on a baby motor?????

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You can tell a lot just by how responsive the motor is when you throttle up hard from any given throttle range. If it is very lean, it'll fall flat. And I'm with you, unless you are really close to where you want to be, running for an hour would likely be a good way to tulip a valve or burn a hole in a piston.

I went to the richer needles because midrange was lean. Follow the manual and you won't go wrong. Nothing wrong at all with trying something out and adjusting to fine tune.

I pretty much never, except for maybe one minute of WOT once in a while, do I even get into the secondaries. I can cruise at 40 MPH without touching them. And I agree that it probably is more carb than I use, maybe even than I can use, I don't get a lot of speed difference for the last quarter throttle. Just more noise and higher fuel burn.

I tend to cruise at 32-35 though. Lot better mileage and the wife is a better passenger when I don't push. I really like the 1409. Easiest carburetor to calibrate and maintain I ever had in a long life of carbureted engines. Perfect carb for your motor.

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you know off hand what your base timing is at? And Max advance? I'm currently at 8 when idling. Per the book, but I'm wondering if i should try moving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.