Easy to Shift Gear When Engine is OFF, Hard to Shift When Engine is On WHY?

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, i don't know if any of you guys remember me. but HELLO

My Engine Runs Great, its working like it should.

But i have 1 Problem.

When the Engine is OFF, and if i ask someone to spin the Prop and shift to gear it will SHIFT very nicely

But

When the Engine is on, its So hard to Shift From Neutral to Gear. or from Gear to Neutral..

The RPM is no more than 900RPM. so i don't Think is nothing to-do with that.

Please Any advice will be appreciated.

What i have CHECK/DONE

Open the Control BOX, check if the cable is no GOOD = Cable Inside Control BOX is Good
Grease The inside of the Control BOX and the Cable TOO = DONE
Remove cable from Control Box and SHIFT = Done, it shift Smoothly
Made Sure Engine RPM is Under 950 RPM before Shifting = Done, Time Engine, and Set Engine RPM under 950RPM

What can it BE. its amazingly confusing.

superbenk

Commander
Re: Easy to Shift Gear When Engine is OFF, Hard to Shift When Engine is On WHY?

What year? What engine? What drive?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

your idle is way too high, 900 is very high for a dog clutch drive, I think you had stringers right? Mechanical or electric shift? Well I don't know what you have for sure, but if its a mechanical shift dog clutch get the idle down to 550-600 and make sure the shift interrupt (electronic system that lowers the idle down to 450 or so so that the clutch dogs will release) is working. Your high idle will cause problems going from N to fwd or rev, but even if the idle is low enough, if the electronic shift assist does not work you will still have problems shifting from in gear to neutral on the water. On land running it on the water hose it won't engage because there is no load on the prop...

On the Cobra drives there is a little lever on the shift linkage that you can lift up with the engine running, you can hear the engine obviously slow down when it's working....

I have never looked at a Stringer drive but it looks like it has some kind of shift assist system as well, look at this diagram...look at part # 29 and the switch that's part of part # 49, t here is also a shift assist module part # 75

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...,3366,3367,3368,3369,3370,3371,3372,3373,3374

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe i have the older stern drive 400-800 out-drive series. because its mechanical not electrical.

I will Re-tune the engine to idle at 450 RPM and see what happen this time. hopefully that is my problem

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

I believe i have the older stern drive 400-800 out-drive series. because its mechanical not electrical.

I will Re-tune the engine to idle at 450 RPM and see what happen this time. hopefully that is my problem

A V6 will be an 800 stringer. Dropping the idle from 950 to 450 will fix it. When there's resistance to shifting, the switch on the shift conveter cover should trigger the shift assist module, dropping rpm even more but only momentarily.

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you guys SO MUCH. i would have never Figure that out My Self.. Thanks Again.. Thats why i Buy my stuff from this Website/FORUM. to support it

THANK YOU guys again.

a70eliminator

Captain

You need a very well tuned engine to achieve a condistant 450RPM idle, thats pretty slow, but I agree 900 is a screaming idle.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

as long as you get it down to 550-600 and the ESA works, you should be OK, since the ESA will lower it when shifting out of gear to like 450 or so