Easiest to crank manual winch

airshot

Rear Admiral
Recently purchased a 16' Sylvan alum boat with 40 hp Merc OB. Time to downsize from my 22' as it was getting to much for rhis old man. My whole outfit should fall into a total weight of 2000 lbs or slightly less. I have serious issues with torn rotator cuffs in the shoulder. This makes cranking the winch difficult, but from my research many folks are not pleased with electric winches for various reasons. Is there such a thing as an easy to crank manual winch ?? The winch currently on the trailer is minimal for the task and the winch handle seems rather short, not sure if that is imagination or not. So where does one go or do you have referals for easy to crank winches that will handle a 2000 lb load....as alway thanks for your responses.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Been looking in that direction, just looking for confirmation I guess

airshot

Rear Admiral
Atlantic 3 speed, 10/5/1 to 1
That is a pricey one!!!!! However it has me thinking, perhaps my current winch is not adequate...mabey a longer handle or moving up to a 2 speed and a longer handle option ?? Thanks for all the suggestions....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have a 2 speed for my ‘88 Four Winns that is about 4,000 lbs. makes it much easier but I have a roller trailer which is easier still than a bunk. My brothers boat is about the same size on a bunk and it’s much harder to winch even with the 2 speed

airshot

Rear Admiral
I do have a roller trailer so it should be easy, and probably is to a person with good shoulders. Beginning to think my winch might be working to hard or barely adequate for the job. A longer handle of moving to a heavier 2 speed might be the way to go. Thanks for your input

flashback

Captain
The longer handle will give you more leverage if you're shoulder can tolerate the larger turning circle. I don't use my trailer often but the 2 speed really helps alot particularly at the shallow ramp that I like to use. (Close to home)..

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep...shallow ramps are a big part of my issue as well, gonna be looking at 2 speed winches, thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Install an electric winch. Shop carefully as you don't have to spend a fortune on a winch.

dwco5051

Commander
The longer handle will give you more leverage if you're shoulder can tolerate the larger turning circle. I don't use my trailer often but the 2 speed really helps alot particularly at the shallow ramp that I like to use. (Close to home)..
The problem with a winch is when you get to the last few feet the drum diameter has increased so the mechanical advantage is less. Used to have a boat that the last 3 feet was a real PITA and thought of using an easy to clip on snatch block when it got that far. Twice the revolutions but half the effort. Sold the boat before I tried it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Been looking in that direction, just looking for confirmation I guess
Unfortunately, work is work.

It may take "less effort" per crank with a 2 speed winch but depending on the gear ratio, may take 2 to 2.5 times as many cranks to retrieve the boat.

To reduce effort w/o increasing duration you increase the ratio between the Crank and the Drum.

The simplest method to reduce Force is by shortening your strap/cable to the bare minimum. The increased diameter of the stored (extra) strap/cable can increase effort by as much as 50%.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Put a pulley on your hook .------Bring the cable back to the winch post.----Gives you double the pulling power with the winch you have now.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Put a pulley on your hook .------Bring the cable back to the winch post.----Gives you double the pulling power with the winch you have now.
Should have thought of that...I yse a snatch block on my side by side frequently to gain that advantage

airshot

Rear Admiral
Looking at a Fulton two speed winch, over capacity for what I need but like the ability to change speeds without having to remount handle, could see dropping that nut in the water!! Anyone have an opinion on these? Reviews seem quite good...

flashback

Captain
Mine is a 1995 model, lift a latch on the axle, slide it over and engage the lower gearing and keep cranking ... Keep it greased and it works great 27 years later..

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The last time I cranked a winch on a reasonably sized boat was 1984. I must not be one of those "many people". Have had several electrics, currently have 2 on current boats.

Every single one I have had has been a Powerwinch Brand. My last boat had one on for 35 years and it never wore out or had the cable fray. I simply stand there and push the button going laa-di-da while other around me scratch their heads.

They may be one of the more expensive ones, but as they say "you get what you pay for".

airshot

Rear Admiral
I am sure you are correct, most of the complaints came from much less expensive units!! Unfortunately My issue is not from a heavy boat, just worn out shoulders from working for 50 years. Hard to justify 600 for a 16' aluminum boat winch, but nice to know there are good quality units out there.....thanks