Earmuffs & Peeing

Bo2255

Recruit
Started my 2010 etec 90hp. today on the trailer with earmuffs, ran it in neutral for about 45 seconds, no tell tail, no peeing so I shut it down. Was that long enough??Read its bad to run if not peeing. New to boating, asked a question last week got some helpful info. Thanks again in advance.

Chief Petty Officer
Even if you run the impeller dry for a few seconds , you can damage it. Another reason why I hate muffs. Submerge the impeller.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
on my 75hp I always use the rear hose conection

it backfeeds water via the VST EMM evetually back into the water pump .

just keep the water pressure down when you do so

no need for risky ill fitting muffs

Attachments

• ETEC water flow.pdf
    251 KB · Views: 5

mike_i

Ensign
Do you know how old the impeller/pump is? You may have already fried it but if you don't know how old it is you may want to replace it anyway. Next time run the motor in a tank like a trash can where the water level is above the pump level. Also you can shove a stiff wire in the pee hole to make sure there's nothing plugging it up.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Could also be something as simple as bugs building a nest in the tell tale hole. You can try taking a piece of weed whacker string and fishing it up through the tell tale hole and see if it is blocked up.

KXP

Seaman Apprentice
Ran a 40 hp 4 stroke on muffs no pee put it in barrel and started peeing immediately, never had that happen before .

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ran a 40 hp 4 stroke on muffs no pee put it in barrel and started peeing immediately, never had that happen before .
I've had my motor not pee sometimes right away on mufs sometimes it's right away and sometimes it takes a few seconds I don't know why. Tank is definitely better.