E70TLEUM Falls on its face at WOT.

I
I had an issue where the shift lever Broke and the shift detent came apart. I have since taken apart the entire lower unit and replaced the shift lever and Re-Assembled.

I then tested shifting on the "ears" in my driveway and all worked as intended.

I then went to my local lake and it ran and shifted well but it sort of fell off after a certain point when pushing throttle forward. It won't go past 5kRPM and 17.8 MPH but there is around 1/4 throttle left at the throttle lever.

I am assuming i need to do some adjusting on the side of the motor in order to fix this but i would love any possible input as the extensive repair i just completed sort of makes me nervous.

I'm also thinking the shift lever was wearing anyway and its possible the adjustments to compensate for it now need undone? Anyhow thinks for the input.

"1996 Evinrude E70TLEUM"

Last edited:

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
5k is plenty fast for the motor, but the fact that it "falls on its face" past that makes me think that the engine isn't getting fuel. I've had similar occurrences while accelerating and my carb needed adjustment.
Check the timing, and make sure you know your engines RPM limits so you aren't shooting for something outside its capability.