E150STLCUR bogging under load

I have an 87 150 evinrude compression shows
2-90 psi 4-85psi 6-81psi
1-85psi 3-85psi 5-85psi

I rebuilt carbs and confirmed good spark on all cylinders and got timing set to spec (can’t remember ° set to but did research prior) motor runs like a new motor without load or in neutral but once in gear with some weight in front of it anything above idle just has no power most of the times it will run fine just has no power occasionally it will buck when bogging down. I just rebuilt carbs but used a cheap kit and they’re still leaking I know this has something to do with my problems but I think there’s more to it pumping the bulb or pushing choke does nothing. Any tips would be appreciated but main concern is compression is this motor runnable or does it need a rebuild/ I need to repower 😅 thank you! First post hoping I got in the right thread apologies if not.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove some bypass covers on side of the block.----Just 6 bolts each.-----Allows you to look at pistons / rings.

Remove some bypass covers on side of the block.----Just 6 bolts each.-----Allows you to look at pistons / rings.
I won’t be able to look at it until tomorrow afternoon due to work but I’ll get them off and get some pics if possible and report back, thank you 👍🏻

I should also note I did do the compression test wrong as the throttle wasn’t open and engine wasn’t warm. The 9 psi difference is what scares me and I want to make sure the engine is worth spending money on it has always had this problem with bogging however the first few times I had it out there were a few times it would take off and go so im leaning towards an electrical issue if compression seems okay and inside inspection plate looks good I planned on just throwing parts at it but advice is definitely appreciated 😂

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The throttle does NOT need to be open on your 2 stroke motor for a compression test !

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
get new OMC kits. make sure your cam roller/throttle cam situation isnt giving it too much fuel too early. as racer said it could be shot piston skirts, stuck ring/s etc here. very common on crossflows.

I went to check under the plates and once getting to the boat realized I had forgot my tools at home, I’ll have to check them tomorrow afternoon after all. While it was on my mind I found a video I have of the motor in the water wot that may help someone help me.
View attachment IMG_0870.MOV

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How did it run for you last season ?-----If that is full throttle there is something seriously wrong..---Check flywheel key.-----They all " sound like a new motor " on a hose !---.Means nothing.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads ?-----Did you confirm high speed jets ( orifice plugs ) are clean?-----Found in bottom of the float bowl ?

How did it run for you last season ?-----If that is full throttle there is something seriously wrong..---Check flywheel key.-----They all " sound like a new motor " on a hose !---.Means nothing.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads ?-----Did you confirm high speed jets ( orifice plugs ) are clean?-----Found in bottom of the float bowl ?
This is a new boat to me I’ve never had motor running right, I’m aware with no load it’s going to sound good that’s what makes me worry on compression, spark is good and strong on all 6 with new plugs and will jump I believe I set my tester on 7/16, I recently rebuilt carbs with a cheap kit they need to be done again as one isn’t sealing but all are getting fuel and I’m assuming everything is clean being new jets but could possibly be clogged again. The motor did have a few times out where it would take off and go and once it was going it would run strong until letting off the throttle only got it to run right one one other time after that and no luck since

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check flywheel key.-----Do not spend any beer tokens on this motor until you have removed bypass covers.----Inspect the pistons and rings first !!

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a new boat to me I’ve never had motor running right, I’m aware with no load it’s going to sound good that’s what makes me worry on compression, spark is good and strong on all 6 with new plugs and will jump I believe I set my tester on 7/16, I recently rebuilt carbs with a cheap kit they need to be done again as one isn’t sealing but all are getting fuel and I’m assuming everything is clean being new jets but could possibly be clogged again. The motor did have a few times out where it would take off and go and once it was going it would run strong until letting off the throttle only got it to run right one one other time after that and no luck since
I see you said that it's a new to you boat. Did you put a new impeller in it when you got it?

Sorry been busy just got around to looking at motor again found some loose flywheel magnets not sure how it was even running tracked a good one down and changed it out and cleaned the stator, still same issue. Had a new cdi laying around I didn’t realize fit it from another motor 🤦‍♂️ Swapped that after rechecking spark and seeing intermittent spark on the port bank and it ran MUCH better a very noticeable difference even just idling have yet to get it in the water to see any progress but I believe that was a big part of my issue. I still have yet to get to the inspection ports but I’m thinking I have buildup in cylinder 6. Hopefully next weekend I’ll have time to get to it

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sorry been busy just got around to looking at motor again found some loose flywheel magnets not sure how it was even running tracked a good one down and changed it out and cleaned the stator, still same issue. Had a new cdi laying around I didn’t realize fit it from another motor 🤦‍♂️ Swapped that after rechecking spark and seeing intermittent spark on the port bank and it ran MUCH better a very noticeable difference even just idling have yet to get it in the water to see any progress but I believe that was a big part of my issue. I still have yet to get to the inspection ports but I’m thinking I have buildup in cylinder 6. Hopefully next weekend I’ll have time to get to it
the el cheapo carb kits (not oem or sierra or old aquapower/red rhino) and horrible! the gasket material disintegrates and leaves you picking pieces out of the myraid holes in your xflow carbs. very well could still be gummed up. the timer is getting full advance after around 1/2 throttle? cam roller intact? agree with racer check those rings/piston skirts.