E150DCXSCR 2008 150hp

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just bought, just got my first outboard. Put it on my first pontoon boat. So the Evinrude is the moon to me. 150 HP Etec. Never started it. Put new impeller pump, almost ready to go. I read the oil (Evinrude) oil, which I will use religiously is mixed automatically, sweet. Question 1. Where in the HE double hockey sticks does the engine oil go? Question 2. How do you prime the oil, the outboard was shipped horizontally so it’s required. Last Question, best site to get wiring diagram. The pontoon boat and trailer was wired by a old blind man who was in a big hurry. I’m a stickler and an engineer so much of it has been rewired with the exception of the boat/engine interface. Thanks. Jim.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Question 1. Where in the HE double hockey sticks does the engine oil go? Question 2. How do you prime the oil, the outboard was shipped horizontally so it’s required. Last Question, best site to get wiring diagram. The pontoon boat and trailer was wired by a old blind man who was in a big hurry. I’m a stickler and an engineer so much of it has been rewired with the exception of the boat/engine interface. Thanks. Jim.
There is separate 1-3 gallon oil tank.

There is a primer bulb on the oil line. Remove oil line from motor and prime using the primer bulb. Once you get oil to the pump reconnect and your ready to go.

Run premix in the first tank of fuel to make sure the oiling system is working properly.

Good thing your an engineer…lol. Boat and trailer mfg are notorious for their poor, incomplete or total lack of documentation.
The best your going to find is generic documentation

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe there is any benefit to mixing gas and oil in your fuel tank.---Gasoline does NOT go through the crankcase at all.----The oil is NOT mixed with the gasoline on these motors !-----The oil is injected at locations on the engine block.---E-Tecs are a different animal.-----Consult a dealer to get this thing started and commissioned.-----Mistakes can be expensive!!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You have to prime the oil system as it has a return line to tank. need someone who knows these engines to complete rigging or boating time will be short from failed engine.

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a primer bulb on the oil line. Remove oil line from motor and prime using the primer bulb. Once you get oil to the pump reconnect and your ready to go.

Run premix in the first tank of fuel to make sure the oiling system is working properly.

Good thing your an engineer…lol. Boat and trailer mfg are notorious for their poor, incomplete or total lack of documentation.
I do not believe there is any benefit to mixing gas and oil in your fuel tank.---Gasoline does NOT go through the crankcase at all.----The oil is NOT mixed with the gasoline on these motors !-----The oil is injected at locations on the engine block.---E-Tecs are a different animal.-----Consult a dealer to get this thing started and commissioned.-----Mistakes can be expensive!!
I know how 2 cycles work, I know the engine crankcase hasn’t a need for oil, I know not to mix oil in the gas tank. Was impressed with fact that the oil/gas is mixed automatically. I just was wondering where the oil goes. Thanks! Mistakes are expensive!

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You DO NOT know how this 2 stroke motor works !----There is no point in running premix in this motor !!!!-----Oil and gas is not automatically mixed on this motor.-----Read your manuals----Take the time to learn how this modern computer controlled motor works.----Mistakes will be expensive.-----Be careful and study before you turn the key !

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
You DO NOT know how this 2 stroke motor works !----There is no point in running premix in this motor !!!!-----Oil and gas is not automatically mixed on this motor.-----Read your manuals----Take the time to learn how this modern computer controlled motor works.----Mistakes will be expensive.-----Be careful and study before you turn the key !
That’s why I’m asking questions, I don’t know how this 2 cycle motor works. I ordered manuals, I do not intend to start it until I know for certain. There is a boat repair shop 10 miles away. I’m going to call them tomorrow,

Thanks.

Last edited:

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, got the external oil tank installed both electrically and oil connection. I purchased the Evinrude oil XD-100 2 cycle outboard oil. Primed the gasoline and the Evinrude oil. Put the boat is in the water, tied it to the quay wall, “test and tune” The engine started right up, Idled like brand new. I noticed 4 red LEDS all 4 on solid. Location of LEDS is on the starboard side of the engine, toward the top. I let the engine idIe for 10 minutes. I moved the joystick backwards, it shifted into reverse. I moved it forward, it shifted to forward. Perfect. The 4 LEDS are no longer on. The problem is this, no matter how much throttle I give it, it never goes above idle. I see the linkage on the engine follow the joystick to maximum in either direction. It shifts forward or reverse no problems. The sound of the engine changes, the RPMs, not much of a change it at all. The sound of the engine changes. Sounds like if you were to manually open a throttle body on a car.

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
On another note...if you just installed a new oil tank I hope you ran the winterizing function at minimum. Better yet would be to use the software and do it right. Air needs to purged. These 6 cyl models are not reliable to begin with.

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are bot the shift cable and the throttle cable installed?
Yes, as mentioned in my manifesto the cables are working correctly, the throttle follows the joystick up to maximum. I’m 99% certain that the throttle position sensor has failed.

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
On another note...if you just installed a new oil tank I hope you ran the winterizing function at minimum. Better yet would be to use the software and do it right. Air needs to purged. These 6 cyl models are not reliable to begin with.
I purged the oil, I followed all procedures. My biggest mistake was buying the engine from a company on eBay, this guy had a good score and sold hundreds of engines. BUT. 1st he sent counterrotation not standard, then he sent correct lower unit to replace, waited 6 weeks for that, he forgot me. Then I installed outboard and found the trunion was cracked. Waited 2 weeks for that part, then finished installing and found the forward reverse was frozen. I had to replace bushing. That part took 3 weeks to arrive. So 11 weeks after purchase I finally start the engine and now it looks like the throttle position sensor has failed. Not sure, it’s my best guess. I’m totally rebuilding my Crownline bottom up so I bought the outboard pontoon to get me through the summer. It needed an outboard, I bought a $6500.00, 2008, and Summer is slipping away, I sit on the dock drinking beer.

Last edited:

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, the engine that started and idled so nicely but wouldn’t ramp up above idle, wasn’t broken after all. I called the individual I bought it from, I mentioned the issue, and he said. “If the throttle at idle isn’t truly at idle, the engine will ignore any effort to accelerate” So at start up, it must be at absolute idle. It was off SLIGHTLY. Anyway this 150 horse ETEC is one bad mammy jammer. I can’t wait till winter so I go through the entire workings of this engine. I wish to thank everyone for their ideas, thoughts and guidance! Every piece of information was gold, it started filling in my foundation of knowledge regarding these magical machines and their fastidious behaviors.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
If you haven't yet you should visit the E-TEC owners web site where E-TEC owners around the world share issues and solutions ! and you can search the site history log of problems :)

if you ask you can probably get a downloadable copy of your service manual

Last edited:

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
some folks do ad a bit of oil in the fuel at a 200/1 ratio it helps injectors from rusting , fuel pump etc... and does not cause any problems

store it/run it with 2+4D fuel saver and run some Evinrude Carbon Guard

search Oly's brew on the ETECweb site

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
see closing posts on this one re: oilying the fuel supply :)

it saved the high speed pump :)