Dyneema for rigging - what to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking to buy some 3/8" Dyneema online to replace my standing rigging. On Amazon, I see 3/8 Dyneema winch rope which looks like the same as the gray Dyneema found on spools locally. Is the winch rope what I should be looking for online?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most dynema started life as sail boat rigging, then on to tow lines, then crane rigging

Its still cheaper to get from rigging supply houses vs amazon

Are you looking at samson blue?

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
I haven't known what to look for. Thanks for suggesting Samson. I see now on Amazon that Samson offers Dyneema. But I don't see the same gray 3/8" Dyneema as I see elsewhere. I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head around the types available, coated/uncoated, and what I'd need to get if I was forced to buy some online. I will most likely buy some at a local supply store, but I like to look around and research a bit. I'm not looking to save money unless it's truly significant. From the history you've told me, it sounds like I can't go wrong with any of the Dyneema choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Synthetic for standing rigging? Why not 1x19 stainless? What boat?

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
But not usually for standing rigging because of the stretch factor. Running rigging would be ok. OP stated it was for standing rigging.

From their web site: "Dyneema has become the “Gold Standard” for performance running rigging"

Last edited:

sunny0106

Banned
Finest blog!I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.
I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!

Happy Chick

Status
Not open for further replies.