dumb question on tilt storage

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
how does everyone store their outboard? do u tilt it all the way down when u garage it or do u leave the transom saver on it? my boat is in the garge for our mild witers and freezing is not an issue. any opinions out there|?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: dumb question on tilt storage

Makes no difference if freezing is not an issue. I store my in the vertical position, so that water drains out and won't freeze in cold weather..

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put mine all the way down when it's on the trailer in the driveway just to save space. I can back it closer to the garage and I can still walk behind it. I also like to drain the water out. I'm in fresh water and don't flush it but for some reason I think it's best to let it drain.

..... for some reason I think it's best to let it drain.

That's correct, if (when) the boat is exposed to sub-freezing temperatures you want all the water out so it doesn't cause problems when it freezes.

Oh, and I see the OP is in Georgia not too terribly far from me. I still keep the engine down when the boat's in the garage.... it takes up less space and on rare occasion I have seen temperatures cold enough to be of concern even for garage kept boats if there was water where it didn't belong.

Last edited:

RRitt

Captain

for long storage periods it is best to lower the engine and open the manual release valve to relieve pressure. If you want to store the engine in an up position then lower onto blocks. Internal pressure will often bind the threads of your manual release. It is usually best to lower the engine into position using your trim motor.