Dual johnson 6hp outboard on boat

Hi guys, I have a 14 ft aluminium v hull which I use on my local lake. I run it with a 1977 johnson 6hp, I get up to 15 kph (9mph). I also have a 1966 johnson 6hp that runs perfect. I was wondering whether if I mounted both engines on the transom and ran them would I in theory double my speed?. The transom is strong enough as I've added steel bar support when redoing it. Would this be something that would be worth trying or is it just a disaster waiting to happen?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well-----It can and has been done.-----You will NOT double the speed.----You will go a faster , but not 29 kph.

tpenfield

Staff member
In theory . . . Change in speed is not a linear relationship to change in power. Power = Force x Velocity

Doubling the power may get about a 30% increase in speed. If the boat has a fairly flat bottom towards the stern, it may help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you have the motors then go for it.----Use your phone for determining the speed you get ( 21 / 22 kph ) and post it here.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The steel bar shouldn't be necessary unless you plan to overpower the boat which isn't advisable.

Why was it added?

The steel bar shouldn't be necessary unless you plan to overpower the boat which isn't advisable.

Why was it added?
The boat was my grandads boat and is about 60 years old. It sat outside for 20 years so i had to re male the transom using fiberglass and marine plywood. It was just a back up as before the transom was non existent and I just wanted to be safer than sorry

jbcurt00

Staff member
The boat was my grandads boat and is about 60 years old. It sat outside for 20 years so i had to re male the transom using fiberglass and marine plywood. It was just a back up as before the transom was non existent and I just wanted to be safer than sorry
Should remove the steel, it's caustic to aluminum and could cause corrosion problems. Lots of pinhole topics posted @iboats some repairable, some not salvageable...

Even if not evident yet,