Drying the Bilge

JAG59

Seaman Apprentice
This past summer I purchased a late 60s MFG. First time out, it floated fine but had an engine problem. Next time out she took on water at an alarming rate. When we trailered her up we found a hole in the hull. It seems that the previous owner patched it just enough to sell it. I know. Let the buyer beware. Now that the bilge has been thouroughly soaked, and with cold weather coming on, I have a question. How do you experienced boaters dry your bilge before winter sttorage? I know that most boats take water in the bilge eventually. If they didn't, bilge pump manufacturers would go belly up. It seems to me that water, even small amounts, in a bilge could saturate certain parts and freezing could cause cracks, fractures, splits, holes, you-name-it in stringers and any other parts that get saturated. I know that all of these parts should be 'glassed but I also know that fiberglassing does not make things waterproof. I had an idea of using a Shop Vac or leaf blower with a home made adaptor to blow air into the bilge drain and maybe dry things out this way. I'm interested to hear how other mariners do it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Drying the Bilge

tilt the boat all the way up, so water can drain, the bower idea won't hurt. you probably have wet foam under the foam. will probably have to be replaced.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Drying the Bilge

Let it drain then put a fan on it a couple of days or use some heat lamps to dry the area out.